Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question about Sportsman speedometer and 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2005, 08:25 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Sportsman speedometer and 4wd

Dude that is just the info I needed! THANK YOU! BTW, the red/white is always grounded when the key is off I found out [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] That was a wild goose chase. Anyway, I did hear that if gound the brown/white wire you will engage the hubs. Well, I tried that and was rewarded with smoke out of the awd switch [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img] I found that both wires to each hub are hot when my switch is on, therefore no voltage potential, no engagement. I guess the speedo takes care of that when it works properly. I will isolate the brown wire and ground it tonight when it cools off outside. I think that will work like the info you gave me.

Thanks again!

Old 08-13-2005, 09:45 AM
Pro Rider

Glad we could help out......[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-14-2005, 03:52 PM
Trailblazer

The trick works great. I disconnected the brown/white wire that goes to each hub, then grounded the hub side of that wire. The awd works fine again and still uses the original switch.

Old 05-28-2006, 12:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

i have the same problem with a 2000 sportsman 500, i tried your fix and it works great on the left side, on the right i do not have a brown/white wire. i have a red, black and a white wire. im not sure which one to ground. please help.

Old 10-03-2006, 11:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

I grounded the brown w/white wire and the AWD works great. The speedo is still screwed up, but the AWD is what I needed.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:36 AM
Pro Rider

Just wondering where you found the schematics for the sportsman. I have a 06 that rolled and crushed the headlight and speedo.

Thanks

Old 10-09-2006, 06:51 PM
Weekend Warrior

I went to my dealer and asked for the scematic. There might be some out there online. The one time I used the scematic to wire in a rear fog light to use for plowing snow. Brad

Old 10-11-2006, 03:53 AM
Pro Rider

On your polaris you can leave the 4x4 on all day if you want it doesnt actually work untill it senses that the back tires are slipping at 20% then both front tires lock up. There is no way for the machine to know this if your speedometer does not work. You need to find a fuse or a bad wire that is causein the speedometer to stop working or call a local polaris dealer and ask them if they think the whole thing has gone bad.

hey big shep your data on the system is incorrect

Old 10-11-2006, 09:31 AM
Range Rover

hey i have had many problems with my AWD.. if u PM me ur phone number I can walk you through your problem and its guaranteed we will find the problem. I have become an expert at hubs on the polaris's.

Thanks hallpass.

Old 10-30-2006, 02:39 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Hallpass
The trick works great. I disconnected the brown/white wire that goes to each hub, then grounded the hub side of that wire. The awd works fine again and still uses the original switch.
Hallpass can you explain in a little more detail the fix that worked for you. Which wires did you disconnect and bypass and how did you do this.

Quick Reply: Question about Sportsman speedometer and 4wd