Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 efi or 700 efi?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 02:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 efi or 700 efi?

the EFI takes care of all atlitude compensations, the only thing that must be changed for going into extreme conditions is the clutch weights, because their set up for sea level

Old 09-05-2005, 11:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

from what i've been told there is no automatic computer compensation, for elevations above 8000 ft. it has to be plugged in (look at your lower left instrument panel) and the mixture is adjusted. but, seeing as how i certainly ain't no mechanic and have never done this, i could have bad information. i just bought mine saturday and woke up this morning to find my hot water heater went **** up and had to spend all day removing the old one, going to home depot to buy a new one, and replumb and install it. i've heard talk of this clutch weight change, but don't know much of that either. when i get a chance, (hopefully next weekend) i plan on getting up above 8000 ft and see how it performs. also have to try out the 4WEBS trick i read about in another thread. put in reverse, hit the overide, give it some gas, throw the 4wd switch and then shift to high or low and let it idle forward without gas. is supposed to lock the front differential. sounds fishy to me, but if it works i'll report back on that also. you still never said why you are selling your 800??

Old 09-05-2005, 11:34 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

want something more sporty, i never use 4x4, even in the snow, and i love manual transmitions with a pasion, so im getting a 06 pred

Old 09-06-2005, 03:36 AM
RJF
Range Rover

Originally posted by: snowguy
Yes it's a tough choice and I'm leaning towards the 500 efi when it comes out. I see you have had Hondas and Yamahas, those were the other brands that I have been considering. The Foreman is one that my buddy swears by, he goes with a 500s, I rode a Rincon and really liked it but it seemed more sport quad like and I didn't like the idea of no low range. I like the Griz too but have never ridden one. The Kodiak feels too small. What is the difference with the 04.5 500 from the 04? What did they change?
I have a 2002 Sportsman 700 twin and a 2004 Scrambler 500H.O. The 500 in my Scrambler is a nice powerplant with good power but it only weighs 571lbs, I would think it would be underpowered for my tastes in a Sportsman. I like the 700 engine a lot, smoother, nice twin growl, and lots of power. I'd go with the 700 SP in a heart beat.

I don't like Honda, they don't have IRS but mainly because they have no twin.

You mention the Grizzly, NICE atv! My dad has a 2005 Metallic black LE Grizzly and it is smoother riding than our '02 700SP. Nice steering and 4x4. the engine is a nice motor with lots of power and the only thing I can complain about it is it's a single piston and has a funny sound.

I'd go with a 660 Grizzly or Sportsman 700. Personally, I feel the SP 700 is heavier duty and a better worker but the Grizzly is a great all around quad that is very "sporty" feeling due to it's light weight and easy steering.

Old 09-07-2005, 03:15 AM
Range Rover

Funny you should mention the Grizz as smoother riding, I talked to a dealer that sells both Polaris and Yamaha. He said that if a buyer is in the middle he'll have them ride both and the smoother ride of the Polaris wins them over everytime. I suspect the heavier weight of the Polaris would smooth out the ride somewhat. I've never ridden a Yamaha so I have no personal experience. I do have Yamaha snowmachines and they are well built machines, I've got a couple of Mountain Maxes, a 700 for me and a 600 for my son. As for ATV's I'm going to wait for the '06's to come out and look at the SP 500 efi in camo.

Old 09-09-2005, 03:34 AM
Trailblazer

I thought that was odd too about the grizz being a smoother ride than the Polaris, but hey what ever you like.

You can always identify a Grizz coming domn the trail from the (funny?) sound of the exhaust. Nice wheeler though.

Old 09-09-2005, 04:45 PM
RJF
Range Rover

Funny you should mention the Grizz as smoother riding, I talked to a dealer that sells both Polaris and Yamaha. He said that if a buyer is in the middle he'll have them ride both and the smoother ride of the Polaris wins them over everytime. I suspect the heavier weight of the Polaris would smooth out the ride somewhat. I've never ridden a Yamaha so I have no personal experience. I do have Yamaha snowmachines and they are well built machines, I've got a couple of Mountain Maxes, a 700 for me and a 600 for my son. As for ATV's I'm going to wait for the '06's to come out and look at the SP 500 efi in camo.

I know I know, maybe it's our SP700 or something but there is absolutely NO comparison. My dad's '05 Grizzly just floats down the trail and the '02 Sp700 has a firmer ride. Actually, our '99 Xplorer 400 rides better than our SP700, but still not floaty like the Griz.

A buddy of mine has a blue 700cc/141" Mountain Max. back when I was on our '04 Polaris 700/144" Vertical Escape, I could just slightly outrun him and could climb noticeable better. It's the darned triple in the 'Max, it's too heavy. We've had multiple Yami sleds and while being very reliable, have always left us wanting more power from being pulled away from by same cc sleds of other brands. Thats why we went Polaris and Arctic Cat.

Love the new '03 Poo 800cc/159" Vertical Escape.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 09-09-2005, 11:46 PM
Trailblazer

[quote]
Originally posted by: RJF
I don't like Honda, they don't have IRS but mainly because they have no twin.
The Rincon does have IRS. Now twin and no EFI till 06

Old 09-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Range Rover

I hear what you're saying the Yammie sleds are heavy and down on power but I love the sound of that tripple and the gas mileage is way better than any twin. I've tweeked mine so it runs pretty strong. My next sled will probably be a Polaris though they are nice sleds.

Back to bikes, I saw an 04 600 for sale for $5500, 360 miles. From what I've read everyone liked them but I hesitate buying something that's been discontinued. Like I said I'm waiting for the 06's I wonder when they will be out, does anyone have one yet?

Old 09-10-2005, 12:35 PM
RJF
Range Rover

I hear what you're saying the Yammie sleds are heavy and down on power but I love the sound of that tripple and the gas mileage is way better than any twin. I've tweeked mine so it runs pretty strong. My next sled will probably be a Polaris though they are nice sleds.
If you think the Yammi triple is good sounding, you should hear a Cat ZRT triple with triple pipes and a performance silencer.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

My dad's Powder Extreme 600 tyriple triple is rediculously loud and obnoxoius....I love it!