Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

500 efi or 700 efi?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 01:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 efi or 700 efi?

alright here is the deal, my dads buddy bought an 04 sportsman 500. he loved it and thought it was perfect, but all the sudden the 700efi came out and he wanted the best. so he traded in his 500 for a 04.5 700efi. he was kinda dissapointed at first cause he didnt really notice that much of a power increase. 5 months later he was 5 miles into a trail and his battery died, nevermind that there was no pull start and the fact that he was all alone. he had to call the police and they towed him back. now he is getting an 06 500efi when they come out.

Old 10-02-2005, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500 efi or 700 efi?

Originally posted by: sp500LE
alright here is the deal, my dads buddy bought an 04 sportsman 500. he loved it and thought it was perfect, but all the sudden the 700efi came out and he wanted the best. so he traded in his 500 for a 04.5 700efi. he was kinda dissapointed at first cause he didnt really notice that much of a power increase. 5 months later he was 5 miles into a trail and his battery died, nevermind that there was no pull start and the fact that he was all alone. he had to call the police and they towed him back. now he is getting an 06 500efi when they come out.
I just took my 05 800 EFI for a short jog of about 40 miles and no problems. Sometimes there are issues with a new machine. Any new machine. Hell, I heard of someone who paid over 60K for a brand new Lexus that didn't make it off the dealer's lot. What is an 8K machine compared to that.

2 things. I wouldn't get the 06 500 EFI because it is a new system. It is from what I hear (may not be accurate) an EFI system slapped onto a 500 motor. Well, Honda has the Foreman ES series which is a rigged automatic system consisting of the same old same old and a solenoid. Wonderful system except it would jam and not shift. So now you have to shut off the machine and rock it into gear because there is no shift lever to move it for you. Secondly, there is a reason both the ATVs we own have winches and we ride with company ESPECIALLY with a new machine. Actually, we always ride with others. I never would ride alone because if something happens, you are up **** creek without a paddle.