Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris Stator problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2005, 11:08 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris Stator problem?

I pulled my 02 Sportsman off the trailer the other day, as the front end hit the pavement it cut off immediately. Tore it all apart, I have no spark. I recall reading of a plug wire pinching problem between the frame and gas tank at one time and thought for sure this was the answer. I pulled the ignition coil out, seperated the plug wire and checked for damage. Nothing visible. I then checked for continuity on the plug wire itself, the coil end to the plug jacket, there was no reading whatsoever. I began cutting sections of the wire and checking for continuity along the way. I ended up breaking apart the plug jacket to see what the interior looked like to discover that there is a space from the end of the plug wire to the plug "clip" that attaches to the top of the plug. I assume that this a calculated space that allows for an arcing to the sparkplug so therefore no continuity would have been present anyway. I tested the coil as best I could with directions from a shop manual and it appears to be good. I then opened the pull starter side of the engine to discover that my starter gearing was corroded with pieces of it falling out upon removal of the cover. Possibly some pieces messed with the stator and killed my spark? What des the exciter do in this setup? Anyone have any laymans explanation how the system works, maybe a link I could read or possibly a similar experience to relate to me? Anything please as Autumn is upon me and I've got to get back in the woods!!