Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Execvators - are they directional?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 07:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a new set of socks for my Xplorer this weekend . . . Excavators.

I had them mounted by the shop, but something looks wrong. There is a prominant "V" in the centre of the tire that, "I assume" cups the soft stuff to get traction. The rears are mounted so that open end of the "V" grabbs the soil, but the fronts are mounted so that the point of the "V" (when looking at the front of the bike) points down (therefore the "V" does not cup the soil) . . . it this correct?

Old 10-23-2000, 11:34 AM
Pro Rider

You want the tires to have the "V" pointing down when looking from the front. This allows the tire to clean out mud and debris, letting it get a good bite. If you do not have them this way, the mud will start packing up in the tire and make it a slick. That ain't good in the mud. If you have ever seen a tractor, note that "V" is pointing down when looking from the front as well.
You can mount the tires with the "V" pointing up, but this is really only good when you want flotation in stuff like sand and snow. For mud, you want it the other way.
If you want to switch the tires, just put the right side tire on the left and the left tire on the right. This will reverse the direction.

Old 10-23-2000, 12:12 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks Lurch . . . I will point the "V" down for muddin and reverse it when the snow comes to get a bit more flotation.