Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scr 400 Pipe

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2000, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the midrange pipe from RCR effect the top-end at all? How about the low-end? If so how? Also does anyone know anything about rad valves and reeds?

Old 10-23-2000, 11:18 PM
Pro Rider

From what the guys told me before I bought my HPD trail pipe, the RCR is about the same as mine. My pipe gave me more low-end, tons of mid and more top end power. It didn't effect my top speed though.

I added V-forceII reed valves to my Scrambler and it makes a heck of a difference. That along with the air-box mod/filter and it is even better.

Hope this helped a bit.

Old 10-24-2000, 03:33 AM
Pro Rider

The mid range pipe is great. I installed the Stage 1 kit and it makes an huge difference at the low and mid ranges. I'm not sure how much difference it made at the top end yet. I've not ridden with the people I normally ride with to compare it yet. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Old 10-24-2000, 10:29 AM
Pro Rider

The RcR mid-range pipe makes a huge difference on the low end. You'll gain a bit on the high end too, not a huge difference, but you'll notice it. I feel you need the air-box mod to get the full affect. Throw the Delta V-Force reeds in there, and you'll be amazed.

Old 10-24-2000, 11:19 AM
Range Rover

I just talked with the Ritter folks last night to order a setup for my 400 Scrambler- Great people! After I outlined my needs, we worked together to come up with a custom package. I'm posting the outcome here in case it will help anyone else decide.

I ride at 6000 to 12000 feet altitude in the Colorado Mountains, and spend about half the time on tight trails (low speed) and the other half on forest roads or fire roads (high speed). I did not want to lose any low end because sometimes I can't avoid the occasional rock wall or boulder field, but also wanted more mid to high end power for the high speed cruising. I have to have a spark arrester to ride in the woods, but didn't want a loud pipe. The Ritter guy (sorry, I don't remember his name) had this to say:
The WHITE clutch spring that I wanted is already stock in the 400 Scrambler and the 400 Sport.
The Ritter torque pipe doesn't give you any more mid or high end, and it's pretty much for special needs like plowing, towing, or just crawling so he doesn't sell many. The mid range pipe will give you slightly more low end torque, much more mid and high end. Since I needed even more low end in addition to the added mid and high, we are going to try the HPD "plain spring", which is in between the white and green spring that Ritter sells. This will make the clutch enagage at a higher RPM so that I am in more of the power band when crawling, but engage smoothly so that I can handle the take off when in tight situations. If the clutch ends up not engaging smoothly enough from a start for the technical stuff, I will then upgrade to the HPD clutch kit ($140). The Ritter mid range pipe will NOT fit the stock muffler, but the HPD trail pipe will. I did not want to spend another $135 for a louder silencer and spark arrestor, so Ritter is selling me a HPD trail pipe so that I can use my stock muffler/spark arrestor. Ritter is sending me a pilot and main jet for my altitude, and the air box mod kit. The red shock covers I ordered will help the cosmetics also. :*)
It was great to talk to someone who definitely knows what they are talking about and takes the time to help you decide what to do...

Good luck,
Lorrin Lee

Old 10-24-2000, 05:27 PM
Pro Rider

Thats gonna be a nice set-up! Just one thing though, and this is only my 2 cents, but check out the Aaen Roller Clutch before getting the 140$ clutch kit from HPD. The difference in power distribution is amazing to say the least! I say this because the 140$ kit comes with a new helix and the Roller kit has it's own type of helix which I found to be terrific. I have the standard HPD clutch kit. (weights and springs)

Old 10-24-2000, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Leel, It sounds like you have a combination similar to what I was running right after I bought my 400 scrambler. You'll be impressed with the way that it runs. One word of caution, when you start making 45 to 50 horsepower, the piston becomes a weak link. I had the piston in mine score and gall. Keeping pre-mix in the tank may prolong the piston, or even prevent damage.

Trending Topics

Old 10-24-2000, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Capt... doesn't the Weico piston take care of that problem?

Old 10-25-2000, 09:23 PM
Pro Rider

Xplor, I hope that the wiseco cures the problem...

Old 10-26-2000, 12:02 AM
Weekend Warrior

Tell you what, V-force reeds are the ****! They helped lots. They really made my 400 crisp and responsive. Definitely my recommendation along with Hot Seat's pipe, clutch kit, and two piece head, K&N air filter. I Killed a Banshee with Toomy"s with this speed kit.