After break in Q's B.S. or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 01:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default After break in Q's B.S. or not?

[quote]
Originally posted by: cornbread2

I can't believe that some of you guys can be that ignorant on the maintainence of your own ATV's that you would not reccomend that this guy check his valve clearance.q]

Ok Mr smarty pants, explain to everyone why valves tighten up in plain english they can understand (I know why and unlike you I dont have to prove on here what I say).

Boooost asked if it was required, not recommended, and calling people ignorant here wont get you very far. Everyone has to start and learn somewhere and sometime. Live and learn is what it's about.

Old 09-20-2005, 02:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote]
Originally posted by: Bubba297

Ok Mr smarty pants, explain to everyone why valves tighten up in plain english they can understand (I know why and unlike you I dont have to prove on here what I say).

Boooost asked if it was required, not recommended, and calling people ignorant here wont get you very far. Everyone has to start and learn somewhere and sometime. Live and learn is what it's about.
You go boy!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] My sentiments exactly. That's why we are here on this forum. To learn. Not to criticize one another for what we do not know!

Old 09-20-2005, 04:28 PM
Pro Rider

The guy asked if it he needed to do regular valve adjustments on his ATV.

Some of you said NO.

That was not the correct response.

If one took your advice then he could be in for trouble some day.

If you don't know anything about the subject then it is better not to respond because your "advice" can only lead to trouble.

I can't speak from the origional poster who started this thread but I would assume most of you want the correct info when you ask a serious question instead of BS from a bunch of kids who know nothing about the subject.

Old 09-20-2005, 04:37 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: Bubba297
[i]

Valve clearance varies from the wear on the cam, rocker arms, valve seats, valves and sometimes from the valve stem "streching" to some degree.

Valve clearance can be tight on a cold engine and that makes it hard to start. Once you get the engine started the clearance opens up because of the parts expanding from heat and the engine will start fine untill it gets cold again.

Rocker arm and camshaft wear gets worse when your clearance is not in spec.

So the correct but not PC answer to the origional posters question is valve adjustment maintainence IS REQUIRED on most all 4 stroke ATV engines including the Polaris.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Boooost
is it required to take an Atv for valve adjustments back to the dealer (or do it yourself) after the break in period???????
I see nowhere, where he asked about regular valve adjustments. Just if he had to do it after break-in.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

[quote]
q]

Yep, I dont see that question anywhere on the first statement.

Old 09-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Some of you said NO.

That was not the correct response.

If one took your advice then he could be in for trouble some day.

If you don't know anything about the subject then it is better not to respond because your "advice" can only lead to trouble.

I can't speak from the origional poster who started this thread but I would assume most of you want the correct info when you ask a serious question instead of BS from a bunch of kids who know nothing about the subject.

I would expect that someone could read the topic question and understand it instead of butchering it to his wanting. No where did I state that valve adjustments are not needed. I can also tell you that I dont give BS advice. There are many here that will listen to what I tell them far sooner than they would believe you. I have earned my respect here. This is an open forum and people are going to give their "opinions" or answers whether they are right or wrong. Maybe you didnt mean that ignorant statement the way it came out, but it didnt sound good when reading.

By the way, good job on valve clearance explanation. I'll give you an A+ on that one.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2005, 06:42 PM
Pro Rider

Been doing this for years and I still learn something everyday. Every machine is different as well. The members of these forums are better sources of advice than anywhere I have seen. I know that when I am done with my lil project that I will have one Rippen a$$ quad thanks to the help I have received and information shared from these forum members. Lets just remember to not bash those that do not know everything, atleast they asked, thats better than most. In defense to those that answerd incorrectly, they answerd to the best of thier knowledge, thats not wrong, thats all they had to offer and now they too know the correct answere. I know I am not always right but I will pass along the info that i know as correct and if wrong I will be corrected as well by the fine gentelman/woman on here.

So now we know having tight valves can cause cold starting problems!!

How about......What causes a 2-stroke to be hard to start once it is hot from running?? I dont know but want to. Never played with 2-smokes so these that I have now are a whole new avenue of learning for me along with the PVT transmissions, know nothing about them other than how they work basics.

Old 09-20-2005, 06:46 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 167 Likes on 166 Posts

Originally posted by: DemonDS
How about......What causes a 2-stroke to be hard to start once it is hot from running?? I dont know but want to. Never played with 2-smokes so these that I have now are a whole new avenue of learning for me along with the PVT transmissions, know nothing about them other than how they work basics.
Better yet, what happens to my other sock when I dry my clothes?

Old 09-20-2005, 07:02 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Scootergptx
Originally posted by: DemonDS
Better yet, what happens to my other sock when I dry my clothes?
A truelly ageless question that may never be answerd!! LMFAO

Quick Reply: After break in Q's B.S. or not?