Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

After break in Q's B.S. or not?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2005, 02:16 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After break in Q's B.S. or not?

is it required to take an Atv for valve adjustments back to the dealer (or do it yourself) after the break in period???????

Old 09-20-2005, 02:19 AM
Weekend Warrior

Never heard of that one....

Old 09-20-2005, 02:23 AM
Trailblazer

no not really but if you don't know much about the adjustment it is (in most cases) safe
to take it to the dealer what type of bike?

Old 09-20-2005, 02:33 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks please keep the comments comming, I had a thought that this sounded kind of odd I thought that this was probably a sales pitch that they would make a commision off of it. Pathetic!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-20-2005, 02:35 AM
Weekend Warrior

But adjusting the valves right after break in??.....never heard that one. You shouldn't have to adjust the valves after break.....well at least you don't with cars and trucks [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2005, 02:37 AM
Trailblazer

just rember 2 strokes don't have valves and watch the timming marks very carefully!!!

Old 09-20-2005, 02:39 AM
Pro Rider

Actually it is very common. Most all manufacturers will recommend after a 10 hour break in time, the oil should be changed and the valves should be checked. It would amaze you how often the valves do need ajusted. I dont think it is required, but deffinatly a very good idea to have done if you cant do it yourself.

Old 09-20-2005, 03:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

Ahh cool.....just learned something [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-tongue.gif[/img]

Old 09-20-2005, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider

It has always been advised to have the valves checked after break in by most manufacturers . Cars don't need this type of service because the hydraulic lifters will self adjust .

I have serviced freshly broken in machines and seldom is readjustment neccesary , however , it is one of those things - like- you can never check your oil enough .

Contrary to what one would think , valve clearances need to be loosened rather than tightened in most cases .

I would honestly recommend that this type of service is done by the owner . Take the time to learn how to do it on your own . Attention to detail and determination to DO THE JOB RIGHT is better in the hands of a vehicle owner rather than a person on a time clock many times . (not dissing mechanics -- I am one too )

I have known a few mechanics at dealerships that will just skip by checking the valves trying to beat flat rate . If you trust the service department let them take care of it , if you enjoy time in the garage , learn how to do it .

Rick

Old 09-20-2005, 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

Yes valves tighten up over a period of time. If you don't check them you will get to the point where your ATV will not start because of low compression.

You also run the risk of burning the valves and having expensive repair bills by not checking the valve adjustment.

I can't believe that some of you guys can be that ignorant on the maintainence of your own ATV's that you would not reccomend that this guy check his valve clearance.

In fact some ATV's must have valve adjustments on a very regular basis or they will not run.

Most Polaris engines are not that bad but they still need valve adjustments.

Having problems starting a cold engine is the first sign you valves are tight.

Quick Reply: After break in Q's B.S. or not?