Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

toughest tire?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default toughest tire?

Thanks I guess I will be ordering some Bighorns here in the next couple of weeks. Thanks for all of the advice.

Thanks

Ty

Old 09-29-2005, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider
Default toughest tire?

good obsevations Paul700. You guys MUST ride HARD!!!
I have 1300 miles on my Rawhides w/o a flat and about 400 on my Wetlands w/o a problem either but I agree the sidewalls are not stiff enough but that s the trade off for most radials. The bigHorns are heavy but sound like a great tire.

Jim

Old 09-29-2005, 07:33 AM
Range Rover
Default toughest tire?

I agree that the Bighorns are indeed pretty heavy. Not as heavy as my old 589s, but heavier than the PXTs. But honestly, these machines produce so much power that I've never noticed any significant difference in performance after switching to a heavier tire.

Ty, where will you be buying your Bighorns from? I got mine at atvoutfitters.net. Not only were they the cheapest I could find on the net (with free shipping), but their customer service was outstanding. A guy there named Matthew bent over backwards to get my tires and wheels together and shipped up to me in Mass. in just a couple of days. Check em out.

-Steve

Old 09-29-2005, 10:46 AM
Range Rover
Default toughest tire?

I was looking at getting them from rockymountainatv but they are sold out right know. I will check atvoutfitters.net to see if they are any cheaper. Thanks for the suggestion. Also what is a decent wheel to get with the bighorns. I was kinda thinking of a itp type 4 because I really didn't want to spend the extra money on the type 5 or 6. Will the type 4 be decent with that tire.

Thanks

Ty

Old 09-29-2005, 11:00 AM
Range Rover
Default toughest tire?

I just bought them mounted on the basic six-spoked steel wheel. Delta, maybe? I got the black ones to go with my camo 700. Aluminum looks nice, but gets torn up in the real world. I think they were like 30-40 bucks a piece.

Old 09-30-2005, 02:31 AM
Pro Rider
Default toughest tire?

get your package deal online and save money, Outfitters is cheep, got my wheels there and a buddie got mudlites on black type4 there too.

JIm

Old 09-30-2005, 12:11 PM
Trailblazer
Default toughest tire?

I've been riding on my new Highlifter M/S/Ts for a couple months now. I do mostly trail riding with big rocks - often with sharp edges. Lots of blazing our own trails on private land upstate new york. Big holes in the sidewalls are nothing new to the guys I ride with. Tires have been great and pull very well through the mud. A couple weeks ago I was thrilled to have them when I put a gash/slice in the side wall. the sidewall was thick enough that the slice didn't go all the way through - so I was fine. When I got home I sealed the gash with some rubber cement and have been fine since - even have a difficult time locating the spot so I can check it.

here's the link if you want it:

http://www.highlifter.com/store/outlawmst.html

Old 09-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Pro Rider
Default toughest tire?

My mudlites are way stronger than the stock 489's. With the stockers, even with a fully inflated tire, hitting a rock would usually dent the rim. The ML's are so thick that I haven't dented a rim since I installed them. And even at zero pressure, they can hold the weight of the wheeler with minimal sideways pull (like a runflat, but obviously not rated as one).

The lugs are a little big for being an AT tire, though. Maybe the non-XL mudlites would work out for you. Once I put them on, the wheeler got a little floaty. So I figured if it was already so heavy-riding I might as well take off the sway bar. Which was also a good choice. For me.

Old 09-30-2005, 08:40 PM
Trailblazer
Default toughest tire?

Another vote for the Maxxis Bighorn's I've only had mine for a couple of weeks now, 100,miles plus or so and have hit every sharp Rock I could find, climbing any rocky hill I could find trying to abuse these tires the best I could, Barely even wore off the rubber ****, so far, They are much heavier than the stock tires, "But better built" The desert here can be brutal on tires,,[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2005, 08:48 PM
Pro Rider
Default toughest tire?

I have 6500KMS on the stock RawHides and I can say they have been a tough tire. Two plugs, both in the same tire both nails, and lots of scares. I have Kenda Executioners in 25" on order and just hope I like them as much as the RawHides....

Quick Reply: toughest tire?