Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Is the Polaris System a Tough One?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2000, 04:17 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only complaint i here abut the Mag325 is top speed, it is a little slow, but it is one of the most reliable polaris models, it has all the features minus the 500 of the Mag 500. It is a good atv and should defenitly do what you need.

Old 10-27-2000, 10:03 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeff,
you questioned the Xplorer 400cc?I own a 00 model and I love it.I previously owned a 99 500cc Sportsman,it was very heavy[700lbs] in comparison to the Xplorer [588lbs].

The Xplorer does a great job working for you around the house to.I often am loading a 17cf trailor load of firewood with it ,and up some nasty/muddy hills to,it does'nt even seem to know its working.

I like the versatility of this quad to,when your done working,you can go out and play with the biggest of 4x4 quads out there today.It is very fast for a 4x4,dont worry one bit about the injection system,it will go around 500 miles before a fill-up is needed.

My only complaint thus far is the frequent chain adjustments.With the new Concentric drive,you are not suppose to have to adjust the chain very often.Polaris just replaced my entire Concentric drive unit,hopefully that corrects my chain adjustments.If not,NO more chains will be in MY future plans for ATVs,
Bill

Old 10-28-2000, 01:09 AM
Pro Rider

Just my thoughts on the Suzuki King Quad:

Look at the Cat 300 instead. Both EXCELLENT little machines, but Cat has disc brakes, and dual a-arms rear so the scrub is not bad like the single arm KQ

Sheaves on the Polaris clutches WILL groove. Just run them in Low when working, add a clutch kit to reduce slippage, and if they get grooved, replace them.

Old 10-30-2000, 11:36 AM
Pro Rider

For just working on the farm the SP seems to be over kill.Your wasting your money on the selectable 2,4wd and IRS for just a work bike.The SP needs to be greased alot to keep the bushing clean of water and dirt and on the farm your bussy enough I would think.My dad has a 98 Suzuki LT-500 and it has way less maintance to do than I have to and it cost $1000 less.For a work bike I would look at the 300 Suzuki king quad because it has high, low and super low range option with a 4wd locker system.I do not think Suzuki offer these option on any of there other models but they may now.

Old 10-30-2000, 12:06 PM
Trailblazer

i agree with the other guys in that the Polaris 4x4 system is the best around. The truth is however, that belt slippage is VERY RARE. it is also much better then any other brand using belt-drive autos. But if you still have a problem with the belt, go with the Xpedition 425. it has polaris's Aw inspirign 4x4 system with a gearbox rather then a belt. Thats all.

PEACE/

Old 11-01-2000, 12:29 PM
Weekend Warrior

Boy....this forum stuff really works! Ask a simple question and you get tons of experts (seemingly so, I hope) shooting info back at you.

Anyway, have decided on a midsized 4x4 atv; AC 300, Suzuki KQ, Polaris 325 Magnum or Expedition. I'm learning that the Honda, Yamaha and Kawasaki 4x4 systems may be more accurately characterized as 4x3 (3x4?). The AC and Suzuki KQ have the 3 range trans; though I don't know if the AC has the lockable system like the KQ does. The Polaris's (Polarii?) seem about equal with the AC and KQ, save for the gear boxes. The auto Magnum should pull ok based on what I'm hearing and there's no doubt that the Expedition will be able to do the job.

What's up with the pulley grooving mentioned in an earlier post? Is this an issue with those of you using your auto's to the max?

Guess I'll have to take a trip to the dealers again. Dealer support is important...it seems that the "net" support is working fine. Thanks everyone.

"Sometimes in life we can have too many choices."

Old 11-01-2000, 02:15 PM
Range Rover

If your worried about price, you might even want to look at the polaris 250 4x4. It is a good little worker at a good price.
Don't worry about clutches and belt drive problems, if you are familiar with snowmobiles you know what causes belts to burn. Just don't do things to burn it.

Old 11-01-2000, 02:19 PM
Pro Rider

If you go Polaris, I'd take a hard look at the magnum 500, probably the best utility bike Polaris makes.

Bill as respects the explorer, why would anyone want a chain driven quad for the farm? Yours can't even hold up for recreation, in addtion a 4 stroke would be a better choice for utility work. Just my .02 cents.

Old 11-01-2000, 03:53 PM
Pro Rider

The primary clutch sheaves are the ones that groove. I am now on my 3rd primary clutch in 810 miles. My service manager and mechanic are saying this is caused by EBS clutching ( constant belt tension).

I never had these problems on my other non EBS Polaris quads. I hope that the current set up I am now using will hold up.

On your new choices the Artic-Cat has the best suspension and the Suzuki has the best 4x4 system. The Artic-Cat does not have a locking front axel.

Old 11-01-2000, 05:20 PM
Trailblazer

jeffg,
I'm not going to say which quad I like or dislike.
I just wanted to give you a heads up on an ATV in my shop. The company I work for has a '97 Polaris
Big Boss 400 6x6 (2 stroke). It was recently used to pull a seed harvester. I don't know how big the havester is or it's weight. It obviously did the job but here is what happened to it. The air box has a hole melted into it, the belt was burned,and the clucth cover was warped from heat.
I relate the burned belt and clutch cover to operator error. As for the air box it has minimal heat protection.

The newer Polaris or the other quads you are interested in may not even have the exhaust routed near the air box. Check for yourself. If it is I would even request more themro-tape if you are going to be doing a lot of slow chores.

Quick Reply: Is the Polaris System a Tough One?