Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator LE WAY FASTER w/o Quiet core.

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator LE WAY FASTER w/o Quiet core.

Hey guys
well that above is just it i guess. I ran my LE against my friends TLD (bone stock), and once he clicked to fifth, it became quite evident that the quiet core in my pipe was just CHOKING my mid-top rev out horse power. once i removed the quet core, he can't touch me. It seems that with the core in, through the first three i can stay with him (which i thought was weird b/c he's got that close box, and i've got the wide) but once he's clicking to fifth, i'm just into fourth, and he sortof explodes away (i know it doesn't make sense, but it's what happens... every time). with the Core out, i pull ahead of him halfway through first and then its just night and day. From the time i hit second on, the race is over.

Just thought i'd report that. Now since the pred has been to the shop a lot (due to a tranny explosion so to speak, and a clutch lock up) i had the entire lower bit of the motor replaced, case and all. You guys don't think this is evidence of any power loss do you? unfortunately, i was not able to race him before and after the service, b/c he didn't have it yet. Any info would be nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] thanks!

Old 10-10-2005, 06:14 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

GNCC > LE [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

from what ive read it seems like it'd slow you down actually, maybe a race core?

Old 10-10-2005, 06:16 PM
Range Rover

Well, taking the quiet core out increase exhaust flow, right? If thats the case, then of course you will have more power up top with the core off.
Cap'n

Old 10-10-2005, 06:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yeah.........of course this would happen. I guess it is evident to me. Louder exhaust/more flow = more power.

When you are racing like that, switch quads a couple of races........then see if the results are the same.

Old 10-10-2005, 07:11 PM
Pro Rider

I suppose i should have been more specific. i meant with the core in, should it have beat the stock TLD? I mean does how i said the races go sound right? Also, it shaved between .7 and .8 seconds off just through the first 3 gears alone. (ran on very short track where i couldn't get out of third) with core in: around 6.85 secs, with core out, closer to 6.15. thanks!

Old 10-10-2005, 07:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

All things being equal (and they never are [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]) I would think that the TLD would take the LE off the line, then the LE would slowly catch up in 4th and 5th. Especially when the TLD hit 5th. At the end of a longer run, the LE would be pulling away by a couple MPH.

I'm sure the PP pipe adds a bit to the LE's power, but not sure where you would see the greatest gains in a longer race. My guess would be in top end and top speed by a couple MPH hence my comments above.

Now, obviously with the core out you are allowing more air flow, but again, that would be top end power. What you are describing is low end power (holeshot), which doesn't make sense to me. Typically, for more low end power you would restrict air flow and create more back pressure.

I also have the LE, and was practicing holeshots. I was having trouble getting it to rev high enough in first gear so that when I hit second I was still in the sweet spot of the power curve and not getting that boggy feeling. I have a bad habit of quick shifting out of first, but that's another story. Anyway, I went from the 8 plates to only 2, which restricts the airflow. Standing it up just like you want to into third. Would probably stand up in forth, but I'm too scared for that...[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img]

Old 10-10-2005, 07:59 PM
Pro Rider

uh, dude, me and my buddy both can pull the wheels in fifth. you just have to give her a tug right when that DOHC hits the sweet spot. Both he and i can ride forever with the front end high in 5th gear [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (a fact which my other YFZ riding freind is quite jelous of, actually)

Old 10-10-2005, 08:34 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: ScramblerXLE
Both he and i can ride forever with the front end high in 5th gear [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] (a fact which my other YFZ riding freind is quite jelous of, actually)
Wheelies dont win races...
As for the OEM vs WB, Im sure that even with the core in the WB it helps to make a little more power than stock. Id also bet that the WB is a little bit lighter than the stock muffler.
Before my brother bought his '04 TLD he test rode 2 '03 Predators: one with the stock exhaust and another with the Pure Polaris. He had them install the PP exhaust right away because it felt a lot stronger with the PP. (Plus it sounds a whole lot better! LOL)
Cap'n

Old 10-10-2005, 08:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

my TLD will pull wheelies in every gear, and durring a drag with correct shifting, throttle and dropping the clutch into each gear the power band pulls the front end off the ground through every gear

Old 10-10-2005, 11:48 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You guys have plenty of back pressure........loose the plates and cores.......let the sucker breath for god sakes!!!!

If you still want the torque, get the wb turn down tip, it is what most guys are getting who don't want their pipe being open like mine. It makes good sound, and gives the just right back pressure. Also......when are you going to listen to me and get the carb mods by nicholas cycle?? This, along with the twin air filter(and outerware over it)......will make your pred come alive.......this should be #1 on your list. I haven't heard one bad thing about it........

Quick Reply: Predator LE WAY FASTER w/o Quiet core.