Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator Vent tube issue---WHY IS OIL COMING OUT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator Vent tube issue---WHY IS OIL COMING OUT!

I have to get this figured out before saturday Because I will be racing the pred in the altantic grand prix round 1.(even tho my wrist is still not fully well) Although, I could use the oil coming out to blined the racers behind me.That oil would make A good mess on someones gogles.I'll be tring the larger hose thing today.This will be my frist race since I was a kid. Should be a easy one for the predator,no jumps no woops, just fast, flat,with sweeper turns.This hare scramble should be fun if my pred holds together.

Old 10-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Sounds like fun Matt......keep us posted on what you find.....and I'll keep thinking about it. Make sure for the race you have your suspension set......if no jumps...then lower her down so she always hooks up.....

You'll want that oil in a long hard race........I'm sure..........that would suck to sieze that new motor......

Old 10-13-2005, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Yes I have thought about the shock set up.I will lower her abit. Also I hope I don't trash the motor.The bigger hose has to help or fix the problem.I hope!!

Old 10-13-2005, 01:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

yeah......the bigger the hose......it will atleast keep the oil in there for a little while longer......however it doesn't really matter if the oil isn't in the motor, it just as well be on the opponent as sitting in a bigger tube.......but if the bigger tube allows more airflow.....and keep the oil in the motor, then I'd say that is a good setup.......

Old 10-13-2005, 02:04 PM
Pro Rider

well that is what i'll try.

Old 10-13-2005, 02:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Matt-

I got to thinking......maybe it is something more deeper than we are thinking. First off.....could it be your valves not seating good enough??(Did you get a 3/5 angle valve job?) Also, You obvisously have the oil lines hooked up correctly.....but I think(don't quote me)....that toward the front of the motor(oil filter side).....there is a spring/one way valve, could that have went bad on you?? Also, on the oil pump, I know there is a gear in there, but haven't messed with it. Can that gear get out of time some how, so that is would be accelerating the amount of oil the engine needs??

Tell me what you think about these things, I realize it is a new build, but that doesn't mean things went/are right.....no matter who the builder......

Old 10-13-2005, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

you are so right. I did get a 3 angle port job.I never messed with the oil pump?I'm not sure about the oneway valve.I guess it could be stuck closed causing the oil to shoot up the vent tube.I don't think open would hurt it because,oil is made to run passed it anyway.It is just a check valve for stopping the oil from running back into the case when the engine is off.Good ideas tho, I'll ask that question to doug or daryl.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:54 AM
Pro Rider

larger hose ----No good still pisses out. I really think it is the polaris ps-4 oil exspanding.This is why I think so.I checked my oil with the engine hot .But not beat on hot just hot from running in neutral and rev-ing the engine untill the tank got hot and the fan was on.The oil was at the full mark ,just a bit lower that the line.I then went out and gave her a good hard beating for about 1 hour.When I got back a noticed the oil all over the quad,it came from the vent tube again.I then checked the oil and it was just over the full mark.The quad was very very hot at this point,this oil thing has to be expantion,right? Oh by the way,,the oil doesn't have any fuel/gas in it,so it isn't getting gas in the oil. I just cann't believe I'm the only one with this problem!!!

Old 10-18-2005, 01:25 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have a hard time believing its the oil, but could be. I know a lot of guys that run that oil(myself included)......and we beat our preds pretty dang hard......and no problems. I don't know what Doug and Matt run for oil, but I know Doug's boy runs mx really hard......

Old 10-18-2005, 04:27 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Is there another pred you can look at , and compare yours to?
Is there a baffle , or angle piece which is missing? What im thinking is the end of the hose may be routed in such a way, that as the air flows in the air box, it creates a vacumn on the end of the hose and it pulls the oil out. Just like flowing air in the venturi of a carb, will pull fuel out of the jets and passages.
See how others have their hose terminate in the box. Yours might be missing a 90 degree bend piece, or plastic baffle.
Other than that...try a compression test,... the oil coming out might be caused by blow by.. Is it possible the ring gaps, might be lined up on the piston, after the rebuild? They are supposed to be staggered.

Quick Reply: Predator Vent tube issue---WHY IS OIL COMING OUT!