Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Predator Vent tube issue---WHY IS OIL COMING OUT!

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Predator Vent tube issue---WHY IS OIL COMING OUT!

well, as i said before the engine is new and it blew out the oil before the rebuild.I don't have the vent hose in the airbox,it is ran around the carb,and as high as the engine sits.I'm thinking about changing the oil to motul or bel-ray.I really think it is the ps-4 oil expanding.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just a random thought could the oil be too light? mis labeled when bottled or something? just throwing it out there.

Old 10-18-2005, 05:50 PM
Pro Rider

I'd guess you have to much oil in the machine...did this happen with the stock tank?
If you take out X amount of PS4 and replace it with anything else you will see the same thing happen...drain your oil and measure how much comes out...
I've found some aftermarket tanks don't actually have the capacity they claim
Is the return line in the same location on the new tank

Old 10-18-2005, 06:05 PM
Pro Rider

I don't think the oil was miss labled, I have been though many gallons with the problem.Your right about the tank, It can have the wrong amount labled.The return line is right.Do you think that my head pipe sitting on the tank could cause it to expand more then normal. Or how about the hight of the tank,,It seems to sit higher then the stock one or Hpd's.

Old 10-18-2005, 06:15 PM
Pro Rider

Your head pipe is in direct contact?
You MUST fix that...I'd be willing to wage a shiny new penny that is adding to the problem...there should be NO contact..if its to close wrap about a foot of the header in header heat wrap(not to far because it traps the heat in the exhaust

Old 10-18-2005, 07:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yes Matt.........never even thought of that........I bet ya as hot as the rath header runs, your oil is just getting too hot(even before it enters the engine)..........I can't think of a way that I'd think would actually reduce the heat enough and still allow you to run the tank/header.........

But then again, I know of guys who run the tank, and the header.........or atleast the header and the stock tank..........so I don't know if that is it.......

Old 10-19-2005, 11:48 AM
Range Rover

I have a CFM tank also . When I installed it I took off the oil hoses to the stock tank and bottom of the motor. I filled it with 3 quarts of oil and had oil out the vent. I routed the oil vent to right nexted to the carb with a KN vent. I thought I over filled it so I drained it and refilled it and it still blew. I then read on the oil pump needs to be primed after removing the hoses or after long periods of time with no oil. I primed the pump and it does not over fill any more.

Old 10-19-2005, 01:12 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

lets hope to god this isn't your problem matt............I doubt it is.....I think the oil pump will prime itself, I've never primed mine......and I watched the Nicholas boys work on a pred that didn't have oil in it for a long time,(putting on a new head).....and they just oiled up the head good, and started her up.......

Old 10-19-2005, 05:31 PM
Pro Rider

I know about the priming of the oil pump. I do it every oil change just to be sure ,besides that it has been riden about 15 hours so far since any of my engine work.

I'm really thinking that the oil is the anwser and maybe the oil tank hitting the rath header.Heats up the tank and the oil expands.I know that the oil really expands alot to begin with(tested oil with heat and cold) .When I got done riding on sunday night I checked the oil with the quad hot.It was Full . monday morning was cool and the oil was Low.That is a big differance.checked the oil yesterday and it was between full and empty,and it was warmer then monday.No one added oil,no odd leaks.Ps-4 just expands alot in my engine,maybe it is because she runs hot.I got engine ice in it,water coolers and air scoops but it does still feel hot.So maybe that is it.I have a PWR radiator coming and i'm going to try motul engine oil ,so ,my testing will continue.if that still doesn't work then I'm dumping the cfm oil tank.

Old 10-19-2005, 05:39 PM
Pro Rider

Just head to your local auto parts store and pick up a PCV valve. I don't know why it's picking up the oil, but it is. If you install this valve in your line so it can point up and down, it will still vent pressure, but will not let oil by. We are using these in our modified Kawasaki Prairie engines as our big bore mods create a lot of case pressure. The PCV valves stopped it from puking oil!!

Quick Reply: Predator Vent tube issue---WHY IS OIL COMING OUT!