Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

AWD Not Engaging?

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2005, 12:18 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AWD Not Engaging?

I have been researching the Sportsman for a couple of months now and from what I can tell they make a great machine.

However, I have heard from more than one source that the AWD can stick and not engage when it gets interupted with mud or other (snow?) elements.

Has anyone on this forum had a similar experience? If so how do you get around that with the AWD feature an no differential to allow you to force the front wheels to engage?

Brian

Old 10-14-2005, 12:20 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

This is usually due to poor maintnience(sp?).......if you keep things washed up, and take care of them.....they will take care of you!!!

Old 10-14-2005, 12:28 AM
Weekend Warrior

Really? I'm most concerned about snow as I will use it for ice fishing a lot and during the winter months. In NH snow is the color of most of the landscape.

I pushed a 4 wheeler (honda) across a lake once. If I ever have to do it again I will let the snow and ice melt 1st. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Range Rover

Brian, I ride all winter in deep snow and on frozen lakes, there is a reason we see more Sportsmans than anything else out there. Like Brad said maintenece is the key, if you ride alot or have AWD problems change the front diff fluid and use this forum to help you out.

The only thing to watch out for is snow freezing up around the CV boots and tearing them, this goes for any 4X4 quad. If you park in a heated garage, no problem it will melt. I store mine in a shed so before I ride, I open the shed door a foot and blow heat from a Reddy heater for about 15 min to melt or relax the snow on the suspention.

If you buy used from a private sale be careful to check the 4X4 system regardless of the make. Have someone with you that knows the quad and you'll be all set.

Oh, and you will always hear comments from the Polaris bashers.

Old 10-15-2005, 11:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

Great response and thank you.

I do take care of my stuff but I also like to use it if you know what I mean. I follow the rules and schedules on all of my toys but expect the toy to respond with nothing but quality in return. However, nothing is perfect and sometimes you need to squawk at the manufacturer to change things. It is an ongoing process but hey, that is life.

I am seriously interested in Polaris and Arctic cat. I like both and so badly on the fence I am almost considering buying one of each (in time).

Another question if you don't mind. Polaris weighs a lot compared to other brands. AC also makes them heavy. How much does weight really matter and is it a benefit at all in certain cases such as when using for utility purposes?

I like the fact that I can take my tractor and pull down small trees with it. If it were not for the weight of it I'm sure it would be nothing more than a funny home video of a giant sling shot and me on the John Deere. ha ha.

Brian

Old 10-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Trailblazer

The weight thing depends on what you're using it for. The lighter machines like Honda Foreman and Rancher are very popular with hunters because they can be turned around without breaking your back (and very reliable).

The heavier machines are that way because they are bigger and stronger, check out the difference in size of the drive line parts. There is no comparison in ride quality, weight = SMOOTH.

For winter operation you could not go wrong with the Sportsman 500 EFI, turn the key, walk away for 5-10 minutes while it warms up, then ride all day. (You can ride it right away, but don't get in the habit)

The carbed models (any brand) require you to screw around with the choke until warmed up. I've heard that the Carb 6-700 Polaris are particularly bad in this regard.