Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Heel Clicker Clutch Mod?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005 | 03:51 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Heel Clicker Clutch Mod?

Will I have to file material off the primary clutch to be able to use Heel Clicker clutch weights? I have a 2002 Scrambler 500, and I'm worried about screwing it up and getting things out of balance. Is this mod only necessary for older machines? Also, do you need to use a clutch puller and remove the primary from the motor, or can I just swap out the weights while it is still on the machine?

Old 10-24-2005 | 04:22 PM
Pro Rider

Most of the time you will have to remove a very small amount of material off of the primary to let the weight swing all the way out. The amount you take off is very little and will not hurt the balance. You can just swap the weights without pulling the primary but its easier to the the clutch mod with the primary off.

Old 10-24-2005 | 04:32 PM
|
Range Rover

Do you need to use a clutch puller to get the clutch off of the motor? Could I just try taking a little material off of the shoulder of the weight instead of the clutch? How can I tell if I need to do the clutch mod? The description on their website left me a little confused?

Old 10-24-2005 | 04:46 PM
Pro Rider

Yes, you need a clutch puller to get the primary clutch off the motor. You need to do the material removing on the primary to let the weights shift all the way out against the rollers. If you don't do the clutch mod (and the weights don't touch the rollers at full shift out) the primary will not be able to shift all the way out and you will lose top speed. I have installed the heel clicker in 2 different primarys one I had to do the clutch mod the other I did NOT have to do it. So there is a chance you might not have to do it. You just need to make sure the weights touch the rollers at full shift out like in the directions. But like I said its a very small amount you remove from the primary and will not hurt anything.

Old 10-24-2005 | 05:23 PM
|
Range Rover

Thanks for the info. I'll have to see if I'm feeling up to diving into this project.

Old 10-24-2005 | 05:31 PM
|
Range Rover

Would it hurt anything if I just try the weights without filing the clutch, and just know that it won't shift out all the way on the top end? Then if I like how it drives I could go back and remove the clutch material. Or would this break anything?

Old 10-24-2005 | 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

I shouldn't hurt anything but your top speed.

Old 10-24-2005 | 06:10 PM
Range Rover

Minnesota, go for it. The clutch puller is just a 1/2(?) bolt with a small socket in the hole to push off of, or some guys use a trailer hitch ball, it threads right in. Pull your clutch cover and check it out. I did my Heel Clicker install with the primary on, so you can do the clutch mod with the secondary removed using a Dremal, but why fight it.

Check out atvquadsquad, join them and get a deal on the clutch kit with a ton of info on the Heel Clicker you'll become an expert, and I'm sure Mr. Sportsman 70003 is a rich source of information also.

Old 10-25-2005 | 04:09 PM
|
Range Rover

I had a friend who works at a Polaris dealer advise me not to file material off the clutch. He said I'm just asking for trouble, and it could weaken the primary. Would I be able to file material off the shoulders on the weights to make clearance instead, given the exact same amount was removed from each weight? I just don't trust myself to start grinding on the actual clutch.

Old 10-25-2005 | 06:20 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

I wouldnt mess with the weights they are persision ground to Heelclicker specs.Just use a "rattail"file and take out just enough on the clutch to let the weights open up all the way.

Quick Reply: Heel Clicker Clutch Mod?