Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How does the Polaris 4WD work

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005 | 03:20 AM
|
Range Rover
Default How does the Polaris 4WD work

Is it speed sensitive to lock in lock out at certain speeds or in certain conditions? Just trying to learn more about how the AWD works and when. Thanks!

Old 10-26-2005 | 04:16 AM
Pro Rider

i beleive it kicks in when the rear wheels spin so much faster than the front wheels, i think like 1/4 a turn or something. i am not sure on exactly how much though. and no, the AWD isnt speed sensitive, it kicks on when the rears slip. also, you can turn the AWD on at any speed so long as your rear tires are not spinning and are moving the same rate as the fronts. hope this helps

Old 10-26-2005 | 05:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey, thanks alot for the tip.

I just got a 500 and this is not too clear in the Manual.

I was told by the previous owner (err....NOT a mechanically-inclined young man!) that the machine HAD to be stopped AND in neutral to engage the AWD, otherwise it could trash the tranny. Well, that did not make too much sense to me, since the button is huge and easy as hell to push accidentally (which my wife has done twice) and it gave me a heart attack, but did not seem to make a sound or affect anything.

So as long as you are not spinning the rears, say on ice or mud, and THEN engage the AWD you are OK?

Old 10-26-2005 | 06:39 AM
Pro Rider

Correct, as long as all 4 wheels are spinning at the same speed you can switch it in AWD at any speed in hi/low or reverse, the key is making sure all wheels are going at the same rate....

Old 10-26-2005 | 08:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

^ hes right

also remember to use 4x4 in reverse you must have it engauged, and also press and hold the Reverse Overide button on your cluster. its the yellow button underneith the light switch, that also disengauges the reverse Rev Limiter for full power

Old 10-26-2005 | 12:58 PM
Trailblazer

Also remember that when you turn the switch on while moving forward, it will not engauge until the engine is below 3600RPM. I have had that kick my a$$ when I was approaching a mud hole and got stuck cause the 4x4 wasn't engauged yet.

Old 10-28-2005 | 08:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Yeah, I found the Magic yellow button before I found my Owner's manual.

Almost flew through a VERY strong barbed-wire fence backwards.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2005 | 10:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

nice [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 10-28-2005 | 11:42 PM
Pro Rider

in my opinion its the best AWD on any ATV....the on-demand is a great feature of the polaris, it may not be perfect for everyone....well having a true '4 wheel drive' is, but the way it locks in may not be, but for me that is the perfect setup...

Old 10-29-2005 | 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by me:
I am not very good at explaining things, but i will try a more basic explanation. There was i thread i was in awhile ago with a good detailed explanation, ill look for that next.
When you turn on the awd switch, you are not actually engaging the front wheels. You are really just giving them the ability to engage when needed.
The front axle turns 20% slower than the rear axle does while moving. So when you have traction, the front axle turns 20% slower than the front wheels.
When the back wheels lose traction, they begin to spin. THis causes the front axle to speed up as well. When the front axle "catches up" to the front wheels (which were turning faster until you started slipping and slowing down) the hubs engage and lock the wheel to the axle, giving 4wd. When traction is recovered, the pressure is taken off of the front wheels and they disengage. (Rarely they get stuck in, explaining the problem when the handlebars pull to one side sharply until you reverse, unjamming the hubs).
As far as restrictions, the AWD will not engage when RPM is over 3500. When the switch for AWD is "On", you are really in 2WD until the rear wheels slip a little, then you're in AWD.

I know people said this, but just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply: How does the Polaris 4WD work