Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How does the Polaris 4WD work

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005 | 03:35 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default How does the Polaris 4WD work

Thanks alot. It did not make sense to put a
button out there so easy to push "on the fly"
that would trash the tranny if you pushed it.

But the guy who told me this was the same guy
who could not find the owner's manual in 8 years
and I found it in 24 hours.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-29-2005 | 12:21 PM
Range Rover

To people that have never used this system, they hate that the rear wheels have to spin before the fronts kick in.... It's not as bad as it sounds. It's not a like a Yamaha where you put it in diff lock and it takes 1 min of spinning before it locks in. It's quick enough that you can crawl over rocks and such without the rear tires spinning on their own. They idea is so that when you let off the gas in a corner, or you're on pavement, you can still steer it since all 4 wheels are locked up. The down side is that most of the time you don't get 4 wheel EBS, unless you have a Sportsman X2, which does have engine braking to the front wheels as well.

In my opinion, it's the best system on the market. Especially the Sportsman X2. You get 1wd, 2wd & true 4wd including 4 wheel EBS. That's slick!

My favorite all time system was the origonal King Quad though... That was full control! I like the Yamaha setup too, but only if there were no speed restrictions and only if it actually locked up right away when you put it in diff lock. Sometimes it's quick, but many times it takes forever.

Old 10-29-2005 | 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

there is no way to trash the tranny at all with that system. There is only one output shaft on the transmission, and the older models with the 3 chains have all 3 chains spinning, and even the front driveshafts spin in 2wd. The only thing the button does is engage hubs on the front wheels to connect the front wheels to the front driveshafts. as long as the rear tires are spinning at the same rate as the front tires, you'll be fine.