Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

"Cold Weather" carb technical bulletin

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005 | 07:01 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default "Cold Weather" carb technical bulletin

Polaris has a "Technical bulletin" for carburator adjustment/modification that my dealer refers to as the "Cold Weather" modification.

My machine ran like crap with the engine skipping/missing last winter.....until the engine warms up and then it's fine. So last week I give it to the dealer and tell them to do this modification.

Basically, it involves removing the brass plug from the idle mixure screw and adjusting it a bit richer which is what the dealer did....1/2 turn. Apparently the wonderful people at the EPA mandate this plug over the adjustment screw so as to "set" emmisions. Anyway, after a trip up north and the first real cold weather riding of the year......it is still doing it. Now that the plug is gone and the screw is accessible I'll try richening it another 1/2 turn to see if THAT takes care of it as soon as I get a chance.

I was just wondering if anybody else has had this done and if it helped your cold condition operation. Basically, mine skips/misses until it's warmed up.....then runs fine. Anybody else experience this situation?

Old 10-29-2005 | 12:59 AM
Elite Pro Rider

The mixture screw only effects the idle circuit.
At what throttle opening does the missing and skipping occour?
Does it happen as going on the throttle, from idle?

Old 10-29-2005 | 03:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

So far mine runs flawlessly, from 22-90 degrees, and 6500-8500 feet.

Old 10-29-2005 | 09:09 AM
Range Rover

The TSB for the cold weather carb kit only applies to the 03-04 600/700. What I do to help along the warm-up process is to loosely tie a bandana around the thumb throttle and grip to bring the rev's up a little bit so the RPM's are above the missing/skipping stage and give it some time to warm up. (the bandana thing is only for warm-up, not riding)

Polaris sends out their quads on the rich side to be safe but it's not ideal for cold weather start-ups. If you ask around and "search" on this site and the atvquadsquad I'm sure you'll get it ironed out.

Good luck.

Old 10-29-2005 | 08:33 PM
Pro Rider

I thought the cold weather update included a different needle and / or slide too?

Old 10-29-2005 | 09:45 PM
Range Rover

Right, the kit includes a slide spring, needle, jet and main jet. I researched the poor cold weather starting on the twins quite a bit before I installed on my 600 and had not heard of cold weather problems for the singles so either Backinthesaddles carb needs tweeking or more warm-up time in the cold weather.

Old 10-29-2005 | 10:00 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

You dont need to tie a bandana to raise the idle up. There is an adjustment right on the throttle cable up at the thumb throttle. It has a rubber boot over the adjuster.

Old 10-29-2005 | 10:18 PM
Range Rover

The bandana is just for warm-ups. If you raise the idle for the warm-up, then when the motor is up to temp the idle will be too high.

It's just too keep the engine running smooth while you gear up for cold weather riding in freezing temperatures.

Old 10-29-2005 | 11:50 PM
Pro Rider

I have no problems running in any temperature, from -40 to 110 near sea level.

Old 10-31-2005 | 05:13 PM
Pro Rider

sounds like it's to lean try lowering the clip on the needle one notch and see if it runs better, I had to do this to both of my machines because they were hard starting and didnt want to stay running, now I hardly even use the choke exept when it;s real cold.

Quick Reply: "Cold Weather" carb technical bulletin