Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

quick question::Oil Pump Priming on Predator

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick question::Oil Pump Priming on Predator

Hey guys,

read this in the owner's manual so i went to a dealer and they said that it was only important if you replaced the lines, etc. Do i need to do this every time or not?

Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 AM
Range Rover

To my knowledge you only have to prime the oil pump if you have had oil out of the engine for more then a few hours. So says the Predator manual and the official "do it yourself" Polaris oil change kit pamphlet thingy.

I changed my oil 2 weeks ago. Warmed the engine, drained it out, sealed it back up, put in new filter, dumped 2 quarts in, checked oil level, ran bike a few minutes, checked oil again. Bikes running great. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-09-2005, 10:41 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: ScramblerXLE
Hey guys,

read this in the owner's manual so i went to a dealer and they said that it was only important if you replaced the lines, etc. Do i need to do this every time or not?
You should only have to prime if you take the main line off, or disconnect it and let it drain. You may want to check it after you change the oil. When I change mine, I pinch the hose a little bit and then start it up (in neutral). With the hose pinched you can feel the oil going through the main line.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:08 PM
Range Rover

I think I dumped a quart of oil in, then cranked it over a few seconds (didnt start it, just cranked) and then dropped the second quart in.

Old 11-09-2005, 01:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I don't prime mine.......I've had my engine drained for quite some time(like a month or two).......and I just put oil back in it, and started it back up......runs fine. The guys at my dealer said they don't worry about priming it either......the only thing they prime, if not been ran in a while, and is torn apart......is the fuel pump.....

Old 11-11-2005, 11:02 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Knowin' how much an engine overhaul can cost....I think I'd error on the side of caution here. Like Brad's reply, I know many people who don't worry about priming the pump, and never seem to have a problem. But....and that's a big but (yes open to many jokes there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] ) It only takes a few seconds to pinch that return line with your fingers. Feelin' the "pulse" of the pred, and knowing it's getting that ever important oil supply.

Old 11-14-2005, 12:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I agree Ken........Its just something I guess(until your brief description)......that I never really knew how to do.........I'll probably start doing it, just to make sure it is primmed.......got too much money locked up for this poor boy to be doing another overhaul!!!!

Thanks Ken,
Brad