Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Gas leak from overflow tube SP600

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas leak from overflow tube SP600

one more thing, what is that small filter like thing in the carb overflow line? could that be my problem?

Old 11-17-2005, 11:21 AM
Pro Rider

That is a check valve that lets the overflow out but nothing back in.

Since you have a twin cylinder I should warn you and all others about keeping an eye on the carb to engine adapter. Between 1000 and 2000 miles there is a very good chance it will crack. Could ruin an outing if not caught. Fairly easy to replace. I have replaced mine around 2200 miles after it woud not start one day.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

what kind of shape are your motor mounts in? have you put a lot of miles on it? also look at the welds on the frame where the motor mounts bolt up, and check the bolts that hold the metal pieces to the frame that the motor mounts bolt to. it would not be out of the ordinary for one of those crappy factory spot welds to break.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

thanks Charlie, someone else on another forum told me to check the adapter for leaks because he thought that might cause the overflow to leak.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:44 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: rieds
what kind of shape are your motor mounts in? have you put a lot of miles on it? also look at the welds on the frame where the motor mounts bolt up, and check the bolts that hold the metal pieces to the frame that the motor mounts bolt to. it would not be out of the ordinary for one of those crappy factory spot welds to break.
upper one has already been replaced over a year ago, bolt broke, I don't even trail ride with it! only 439 miles on it doing chores around the barn and yard, with the occasional rip through the fields. with a bath it could look mint, absolutely no scratches on undercarriage, I know, I'm a big baby, but I'm like that with all my stuff.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:22 PM
Pro Rider

I dont think the carb adapter has anything to do with the dripping problem, its just something I wanted to mention.
But I do have a thought, that the overflow could be plugged and there should not be any adverse effects. But if your carb did flood because of a leaking needle it would either fill your airbox or engine crankcase. Turning the fuel off when not riding would prevent that. Next time I ride the 600 Iwill plug that overflow and see if it runs any different, hopefully better.
I have not worked on other brands much do they have an over flow? Snowmobiles and small engines do not have them, just bowl vents.

Old 11-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

worth a try I guess, let me know your results and how you plug it... might be a good idea to check your oil just before the trial so you know exactly how much is in there so you can see if any fuel has entered the crank case after the ride. I'll be waiting...

Old 11-18-2005, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not familiar with your specific atv. Is the carb overflow a rubber tube that drops downward?

If vibrations cause the fuel to "splash" on the vent orfice (and leak out), could you extend the tube upwards <U>atleast</U> 6" above the carb, eliminating the possibility of a minor siphoning effect?

Just a thought.

Old 11-19-2005, 10:49 AM
Trailblazer

Hmm very interesting post,
I have had extensive problems with my carb on my 04/ 600.Replaced needle and seat 3 times.
Fuel loading into cylinders,Cracked boot for the carb and replaced cylinders because of leaching of coolant through clyinder walls as polaris would put it.
This carb is junk, I was told about the vibration thingy but come on,
We should all send these 600s back to polaris and tell them to shovem.
Not only that, replaced all electronics, stator coil and wires.Its really bad that they don't admit they made some junk and wont take it but what do you expect.
Oh yes and mine leaks the fuel too!!
Any one want to buy a 600 thats spent alot of time in a warm cozy shop ripped apart?

ANYONE?

Old 11-19-2005, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

I feel your pain Mudlover, notice they discontinued the 600. Maybe they just had too many machines in their line up. I wonder about the siphoning myself VInnie, but what would cause the siphoning in the first place? Think the Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, or Suzuki riders are having ridiculous problems like this? I knew before I bought a Polaris that they need a little more TLC than the others, but this carb thing is really discouraging.

Quick Reply: Gas leak from overflow tube SP600