Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 400 modding

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2005, 10:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polaris 400 modding

Hey guys... i was just sitting here bored and thought i would post a question.

i have a 98 sport 400, bored out .75mm cause of neglect form previous owner, with boyesen pro series reeds... other then that i believe its stock. I've been thinking hard about giving Rick Ritter a call and having him trail mod it for me. Just wondering how much time and effort it takes to put all that together (it doesn't look hard) and about what kind of power you get out of it... i've heard its awosome but i was wondering if anyone would give me some comparison details.

also i know he's a HPD dealer, but does he use their stuff in his kits or his own? and how does his stuff compare to HPD's?

lots of questions i know... but i wanna get it right... thanks guys!!

Old 11-17-2005, 10:55 AM
Pro Rider

I never ended up modding my polaris because its a 325 four stroke and we use it on the farm for basic work but Ive heard nothing but good things about ritter's work. Im not sure what parts he uses from them or from his own. Wish i could help you more.

Old 11-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hello All!! Im new here as far as posting but have been reading these forums for a while now. This post prompted me to register and post because I just got thorough modding my 2000 400 Scrammy with an HPD trailmod kit. All I can say is WOW!!! These things run ok stock. I have a 2001 500 HO 4X4 that is stock and the two used to run side by side. After the mods my 400 absolutely trashes the 500. I went with the complete trailmod kit and added all the options..(39mm carb, vforce reeds, and billet head). The work is very straight forward and easy to do. I completely assembled mine in about 5 hours and this was my first ATV to tear into. I have also read nothing but good things about Ritter Cycles. I think if you want more power out of your 400, you should definatly look into the trailmod. I thought seriously about going with the race mod, but the thought of having to keep a barrel of 5$ a gallon race fuel around did'nt sound too good to me. So I opted for the pump gas mod and boy was I suprized at the outcome. Good Luck and glad to finally be a member of these forums!!

Old 11-17-2005, 05:34 PM
Pro Rider

The trail mod is a really fun package. I used to have one before the race mod and my wifes bike is a trail mod. The trial mod is a very trail friendly bike and very dependable. I would suggest you have a girdle kit installed to be on the safe side. My trail mod had the cylinder break on me.

Rick Ritter is the best in the buisness. You won't find a better mechanic/person period. I hope it all works out for you.

Old 11-17-2005, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider

you don't have to run race gas in a race ported 400. you can use the stock head milled to 12-1 with a girdle kit or a billet head with 12-1 and use 93 pump gas. i'm using the stock head with stock compression on my race ported scrambler with no problems so far.

Old 11-18-2005, 02:38 PM
Trailblazer

the thing is i dont want screw with my engine any... thats why i was looking into Ritter Cycle. He's kit is intake, exhaust, carb, and clutch... it doesn't involved an engine teardown or rebuild... my riding buddies have:, a pred LE, a pred TLD, and a yfz450... so i probably wont be able to keep with them with light modding... but if its a significant increase without engine work then i'll probably do it.

Old 11-18-2005, 04:07 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just like pretty much any 2-stroke, the best first thing to do is ditch the stock pipe and go with a good one. Rick's midrange pipe is good, but I personally like the HPD trail pipe a little more. It runs plenty of rpms and has a lot of grunt everywhere. There are several pipes that will work very well, but you just have to make sure that the clutching is matched up or else your just spitting in the wind. You will be extremely surprised to see how much a trail type pipe with clutching will wake up your machine. If you want to keep up with your buddies then go ahead and send the jug in for a trail port job. I promise you wont be disappointed. those 400 jugs are restrictive big time from the factory and a little working does wonders for them. If the top end is not that old you can reuse the piston again. Just buy some rings and gaskets. Power is very addictive and I know that once you see the difference a pipe/clutching makes and you know that porting will add that much again, then your going to be wishing you had done it all.

An example....... my wife's 2000 scrambler had an HPD trail pipe with matching clutching and a K&N filter. It ran a 10.5-10.6 in the 1/8th mile at 66mph. (we were just goofing off and having fun at the dragstrip) After I done a trail port job to it we took it and ran it again. Changing only that one thing it ran 9.5's at 69mph in the 1/8th mile. It picked up a full second acceleration in 660ft and 3mph. That was amazing considering the weight of the machine. It also made it so much more fun under load conditions such as sand riding.

Old 11-22-2005, 09:06 AM
Pro Rider

Bubba297 have said it all again!
i don't want to bash anyone or to make fame,but a properly setting up
400 with race mod and that removing weight still afraid some 450 and
predator in the trail in very aggressive riding,the honda guys
are always amazed how much power that little 378cc produce,
they need a lot of tuning as much sleds,but i think they deliver
a better values after all the work is done right.
the best thing to be sure is that the clutch shift and gearing
must match the powerband of the motor perfectly and the belt must climb
to top of primary without the less secondary stiffness possible,helix choice is a must have for proper performance.