Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

how do you bypass oil injection

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2005, 02:34 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do you bypass oil injection

Hi everyone, I work on cars and truck, still kinda new with ATV's. I have a 2000 Polaris trailbalzer, and I was was thinking about bypassing the oil injection, and start mixing my fuel. one of my main reason of wanting to do this is I afraid of the pump going out on me and messing the engine up. and I reallly dont like that I m not really sure that it is mixing correctly. and also I have a idling problem, it idles very low to start with, and some time it will not idle, but I think the carb needs cleaned and maybe a adjustment will fix that. I guess my real question is do I need to buy the blocking plate or can I just leave the iol pump on the quad and unhook the oil line from the pump and start mixing my own gas. thanks Donny

Old 11-19-2005, 06:53 AM
zag
Weekend Warrior

you can get a kit from hotseat performance, high preformance design and other places the kit is the way to go cheap and a snap to put on. You need to remove the pump so you can block the oil port that is behind the pump.

Old 11-19-2005, 09:38 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

First off what makes you think the oil injection is not working? Polaris has used this system since the 80's on all the atv's and snowmobiles. The system very rarely goes bad and when it does you will know. The other thing about it idling on a 2000 I would do a compression check. You may need rings. If compression is low it will not idle. If it is too low it will not run. Do the compression test before anything. The thing about premix is you will get 32-1 at all times. When at idle or lower rpm's you dont need a 32-1 mix. This will foul plugs alot more often. The oilinjection controls the mixture at all throttle positions. The higher the rpm's the more oil it injects. I dont see any reason to take it off unless it is highly moded.

Old 11-20-2005, 06:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the reply, I havn't check the compression myself, but I had just bought the quad and the guy told me that he had just reringed it, and it has 120 pounds of pressure. and it will ilde about half the time but some times it will not, I got the quad from IL and I live in Ohio, I havent looked into it yet, but the jetting from there to here may be diff. it starts first pull about 90% of the time but when its cold it takes for ever to get it to start, with or without the choke on. thanks again Donny

Old 11-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Range Rover

I would do your own compression check. There are a few things that may cause the problem you are describing. We'll help you go through them one by one. First thing to do is get a hold of a manual. As far as oil injection system goes, I would make sure it's and good working order and use it. Adjust the oil injection line and make sure the oil line filter is replaced. Since this was not your ATV you may need to remove the oil tank and clean it out. Who knows what the previous owner did with it. Noticed you mentioned pull starting it. Is the starter bad? This could be a sign that the previous owner may not have been to keen on maintenance.

Old 11-21-2005, 12:42 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hi, I do have a manuel for it, it's a Polaris service manuel for a 04 witch mine is 2000, but I think for the most part they are close enough to help me out, I dont think there is really anything wrong with the injection, a few guys I ran into why out riding recommended removing it. more or less told me that if the pump went out on me that it would trash my motor before I ever new what had happen. I did look at the manuel on adjusting the throttle and oil injection, but it being a service manuel that polaris service shop would use and not really made for first timers, I thing it makes it hard for me to understand it. I should have bought a hanes manuel or something. far as the starter goes, the guy I got it from said the bendix was bad, and a guy that works on quad around my area said it was the starter, from my experiance with cars and truck I think it the starter also. but it starts so easy by pulling it I haven't gave it much thought till now when I notice that its harder to start in colder weather. but Polaris shop told me that it is pretty hard to change the starter, siad you would have remove the clutchs and a few other things and said the clutchs are hard to do for someone who doesn't have much experience with them. I just got the quad around a month ago. I was riding a KFX400 04 but I got sold it and got the polaris for the wife to ride.

Old 11-21-2005, 02:02 AM
Range Rover

Some atv of other manufactures may have had problems. Heck maybe even a Polaris, but it usually comes down to lack of maintenance. Feel free to email me at the link below below if you have any questions.