Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

02 Magnum; Bad Ignition switch??

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2005, 04:43 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Magnum; Bad Ignition switch??

I ride an 02 (Built 6/01 I believe) 325 Magnum 4x4. Love the quad, have buried it in mud, drowned it a couple weeks ago and no problems that I haven't caused myself.

My problem is with the ignition switch. I've noticed that sometimes I can turn the key to start and it pauses a second or two before I cna hear the relays kick on and the starter kicks over. Also, almost every time I turn the key off, the engine stays running. Eventually it turns off but never a consistent time. If I kill it with the switch on the bars, it shuts off immediately.

Just yesterday my dad needed to plow the driveway and wanted to use my quad instead of his (99 Honda Fourtrax) cause my lift is far easier to operate and my Polaris is more comfortable...anyway. He said he had to do the old jiggle/wiggle a couple times to start it.

I haven't done anything at all with it yet, but want to probe you guys to see if its common with this ignition switch or what. I don't really want to have to order another expensive part as I just ordered a $130 foot well that I blew out and nailed my leg with (ouch...incase that wasn't obvious [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img])...

Thanks, I really enjoy reading posts and good info here!

Old 11-25-2005, 04:53 PM
Pro Rider

Yes you need the switch.

Old 11-26-2005, 09:46 AM
Pro Rider

What he said. Cornbread is right, just replace the switch, no big deal.

Old 11-26-2005, 02:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hmmph...

No fixes for this problem? I can be a little resourceful if it allows me to save $55.

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2005, 02:50 PM
Trailblazer

The switch itself is not servicable, so there's not much you can do with it. You could replace the keyswitch with a 3 contact toggle switch and a momentary switch if you're feeling really creative, but for $55, replacing the keyswitch is pretty much a no-brainer.

Old 11-26-2005, 03:00 PM
Trailblazer

Opps, I typed 3 contact but meant a 4 contact toggle switch. You would need 2 NO contacts and 2 NC contacts. Sorry....

Old 11-26-2005, 05:07 PM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I like to keep things fairly stock looking and I want a key for security reasons so...

I suppose everyone has been hounding me for Christmas gift ideas.

Thanks for the help...man I love online forums!

Old 12-01-2005, 07:12 PM
Weekend Warrior

This may or may not be your problem, but here is what you may try. My 00 Scrambler400 was doing the same thing. I would turn on the key, and sometimes the solenoid would click once or twice, but then it would start. Yesterday, it just clicked a few times and then would do nothing. It turns out that my starter is bad. It's a simple thing to check if you have a test light. Just hit your switch and have someone hold the test light at your starter lead. If you have power, your starter is bad. If you dont have power to the starter, then it is most likely in the switch.

Old 12-01-2005, 07:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thats a possibility I guess, but it still has the problem with not shutting off.

I don't use it quite as much as my Dad does right now since the plow is on it...I'll have to mess with it and see.

Thanks for all the responses...appreciate the help.

Old 12-01-2005, 09:02 PM
Trailblazer

Yo caulk...This is a little of the topic but- I just bought a '00 Magnum 325 4X4. How well does it do with snow plowing? You said your plow was much easier to use than your dad's? Is your's a manual lift? Finally, how far down underneath the machine does your mount hang when the plow is disconnected as I would want one that popped on and off easily with good clearance for snow riding........thanks for any insight you can offer.........

how many hours/miles you got on it?

Quick Reply: 02 Magnum; Bad Ignition switch??