Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Smokin like a chimney

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005, 06:07 PM
CED
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smokin like a chimney

I think your rings are seated by now.You will hear different opinions about breaking in new rings.I run the hell out of mine after i warm the engine up then let it completely cool several times.And i have never had any problems.

Old 11-28-2005, 06:14 PM
Range Rover

The quad runs great except for the smoke. There are a few ticks and clinks every now and again but not sure where the noise is coming from. Mainly at lower speeds. I heard the polaris' are known for this. Should I worry about the quad smoking this much? Drop the pre-mix ratio? Re-do the rings? Or just ride the hell out it like i have been doing and hope for the best?

About the idle...why should i have to turn the idle screw all the way in for it to idle?

Old 11-28-2005, 10:49 PM
Pro Rider

I will type SLOWLY for those of you that have problems reading.

Once again the rings on a two stroke engine have NOTHING TO DO WITH SMOKING.

This is a TWO STROKE ENGINE not a four stroke.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

My opinion about the smoking is.........the original oil injection automatically regulates the oil to gas ratio.
For example: when at idle the injector leans out the the gas oil mixture so that you wont foul plugs at low RPMs. When you have the throttle wide open it increases the amount of oil per gas ratio.
I would assume that 32:1 is the sweet spot somewhere in the middle.
I know that when i do alot of riding in the woods for instance........a better part of the time is spent well below half throttle which (in your case) would cause build up and smoking.
If you are against hooking the injector back up....i think i would stick with the 32:1. (if thats what they said to use)
Just for the heck of it you should check to make sure your air filter and prefilter are clean and not causing the "choke" effect.

I wouldnt worry about the smoking if itss not fouling plugs.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:56 AM
Pro Rider

RECAP:
"smokes like the mosquito sprayer truck"
" I had replaced the counterbalance, bearings, and seals about 6 months ago. I check the level before each ride and it doesnt seem to be loosing any."
"Once again the rings on a two stroke engine have NOTHING TO DO WITH SMOKING."

The rings in a 4 cycle help keep the oil in the crankcase from entering the combustion chamber. The rings in a 2 cycle maintain compression only. (Listen to cornbread2!)

If it is smoking that badly, then excessive oil is coming from somewhere. If it's not the crankcase seal, then where else? The only other oil around, would be what you have added to the fuel, or oil that was used in the rebuild that possibly ended up in the lower case. If there is extra oil in the lower case, when you accelerate, the air/fuel mixture could be accelerated enough that it picks up some of this oil, causing excessive smoke. (Possibly even contribute to the poor idling problem.)

My other thought is that since you are still running on the first tank of gas, maybe the oil didn't get mixed throughly, or even mistakenly added oil to the gas twice.

These are just my thoughts to try to help you in this dilema.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:59 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Cutty
Sounds like your new rings didn't seat properly to me.
Bad rings on a 2 stroke doesnt make them burn oil A bad seal would make it burn oil Also the rings have had plenty of time to seat Do a very careful check of the trans oil level and then take it for a long ride and come back let the motor cool all the way down and check the level again Coolant will also make a big smoke cloud did you check and see if you are losing any

Old 11-29-2005, 08:33 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 4FITTY
Originally posted by: Cutty
Sounds like your new rings didn't seat properly to me.
Bad rings on a 2 stroke doesnt make them burn oil A bad seal would make it burn oil Also the rings have had plenty of time to seat Do a very careful check of the trans oil level and then take it for a long ride and come back let the motor cool all the way down and check the level again Coolant will also make a big smoke cloud did you check and see if you are losing any
FYI - The motor and tranmission are seperate.

Old 11-29-2005, 09:25 AM
CED
Pro Rider

Coolant will smoke white.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Range Rover

I have checked both the coolant and the counterbalance oil and both seem to be fine. Although I haven't run it for that long. I drained and refilled both before the last ride. So maybe it is leaking from one but just isnt noticable yet.

I was also reading a post about the position of the needle on the slide in the carb. Could this effect it in any way? I changed carbs because the slide was sticking. Never thought about the needle position, but both jets were the same.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:52 PM
Range Rover

Needle

Just a thought....

Quick Reply: Smokin like a chimney