Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winterizing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 05:00 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winterizing?

We dont plan on taking our ATV's out much this winter so I think they'll be sitting till spring. (I know-damn shame)

What do you guys suggest I do to them for the winter?

Will they be ok if I just go out and start them every week? Every two weeks? Every month?

Do I need to drain all the fluids?

I dont have a whole lot of space or time is why I am asking this.

What does everyone suggest?

Thanks in advance.

Old 11-29-2005, 06:24 PM
Range Rover
Default Winterizing?

Fill-up with fresh fuel containing dry gas (isopropyl type) and Staybil, run it through the engine for a while. Pull the battery and keep it someplace warm. If outside, cover it up and keep dry.

Old 11-29-2005, 07:11 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default Winterizing?

Actually, what I suggest to do with gas...........is put some premium(92-93) octane. Usually BP is the best gas I've found. The premium won't go bad. And, no need to use other products in your tank either. If you plan to start it every 2-3 weeks, leave the battery hooked up........but if not, better take if off, and put it on a board somewhere. Make sure your antifreeze is in good shape, and I'd go ahead and grease all of your fittings too. A cover never hurts, but isn't really needed if indoors. Also, put down some rat posion.......they will nest in your quad(air filter and electrical areas)

Old 11-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer
Default Winterizing?

Whatever you do do not drain the gas i ran mine dry playing in the winter and did not think to put more fule in it. i didnt ride it till spring and when i fired it up it started dumping gass all over from the overflow hose. The carb got all gumed up and the float was stuck in the carb. It took two days beating on her pretty hard and running way more seafoam through it than i should of but it broke loose and is fine now.I was just about to rip the carb off and i didnt want to because it is such a bitch to get off on the z or it looks like it would be.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:18 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winterizing?

When ever i put something away for the season i change the oil put stabile in the gas and grease it up. That way when it comes time to ride all you have to do is start it up and go. Oh and id pull the battery if you dont plan on riding at all for a long period of time.

Old 11-29-2005, 08:48 PM
Trailblazer
Default Winterizing?

I just put mine away fro the winter today. I bought some Golden Spectro cylce wash and gave it a good thorough cleaning. I pit about 4 ounces of Polaris fuel stabilzer and topped of the tank with super unleades and let it run fro a few minutes to get the stablilizer into the carb and fuel lines. I dried it off and pulled it into the garage. I may or may not get to rie in the snow at all so I put the stabilzer in anyways. I threw an old blanket over it and thats it until April or so. I stored my motorcycles the same way for many years with no problems. I am sure you will get a million ideas on how to do it but mine is cheap and easy and has always been enough for me. I might take the battery out. If it croaks I'll just buy another one.

Old 12-01-2005, 11:23 AM
Trailblazer
Default Winterizing?

Don't know what kind of weather you have in your region, but I would grease in all metal parts with a cheap (food) oil to prevent corrosion.
Besides from the other advises on liquids, I would also make sure to lift it, so the tires are off the ground. Could otherwise cause flat spotting.

RIDE HARD! (also during winter time)

Old 12-01-2005, 11:38 AM
Range Rover
Default Winterizing?

thanks for all your replies.

I simply dont have the time this winter to change the oil on all of the ATV's.

Should I fill the tanks and then add STABIL, then run them for a few minutes?

or do you think its ok to just add STABIL.

The ATV"S are in a garage that will be opened several times this winter - to get the snowblower in and out. It will be cold and snowy for at lerast 3 months, during which time we wont be riding them.

So I guess I will add STABIL, run them and take the batteries out and put them in the house. Other than that I dont know if I should do anything else.

Will this be enough?

Old 12-01-2005, 12:27 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winterizing?

It sounds like you have a good plan there. It definitely wouldn't hurt to throw a sheet over the quads to keep them clean. Also, wouldn't hurt to put the quads up on blocks. Taking pressure off the tires will keep the sidewalls stronger for next spring. Good luck! Oh yeah, some guys pull out the spark plug and spray fogging oil into the cylinder. This prevents a dry startup next spring.

Old 12-01-2005, 05:54 PM
Pro Rider
Default Winterizing?

I plan on riding mine during the winter. Although not as much as in the summer. But today I added fuel savor to the gas already in the tank. I do this even with my lawn mower and leaf blower. Anything that takes gas and that will be getting cold this winter. I noticed that even with the few nights that it's gotten around 20 degrees. They was harder to start than usual.

Quick Reply: Winterizing?