Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

serious tech help with snorkel

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2005, 09:34 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default serious tech help with snorkel

im in the process of extending(more like replacing) the clutch vent on my 02 sp700.
i ride hard and fast threw water, and in deep water as well.
my belt has been slipping so ive decided to take out the stock stuff and go on my own.
i have a bud that does exhaust work, and he is gonna bend up a nice setup for me.

ive got the idea to come out of the clutch cover from the factory location, bend down and in front, then under the clutch cover and out the back of the bike, much like the factory pipe and muffler setup, just on the other side.

is it a bad idea to go downhill, or make a snorkel so long?
i want it run out the back, because a 3" piece of exhaust tubing fits nice under the clutch cover, and above the frame.
its tight, but there is room, and this way i wouldnt have to cut or modify the bike in anyway.

any suggestions is appreciated. i want to make sure i get the heat out of there like intended.
i also am getting rid of the stock crankcase vent(on the left side of the gas take, opposite of the factory air box snorkel) and run it beside the clutch vent and out the back.

dont want to do the wrong thing, as i dont have a clue how the vents operate.
comming out the front is not an option for me, as i think it looks cheap, and will just end up getting in the way, IMO.

who knows, i may start a trend.
hehe.
thanks.

Old 12-02-2005, 10:10 AM
Range Rover

I don't think it would be a problem, but, I am wondering why the companies that do make these kits, dont go that way. They all exit in between the front rack and the head light pod. I fabbed mine from 2.5" flexible hose, and exited up front. I think maybe it would just be to long??? And also when ever you go downward you should always put a drain petcock. if it does fill with water on the trail . it sounds like the way you want to run it, it will not be easy to remove on the trail..

good luck.

ps; I am posting my pics next week

Old 12-02-2005, 09:40 PM
Range Rover

Interesting idea TJ. If you can't get the bent exhaust pipe route to work you could use that 2.5" flexible hose and go the same way but with a nice chrome tip out the back for that extra "bling"

It would be easier to snorkle up to the front, but where there's a will there's a way. Post some pics for us when you git-r-done. Good luck.

Old 12-03-2005, 02:45 AM
Range Rover

ive found out from a few pros in the biz that my vent wille be too long and allow clutch temps to skyrocket, decreasing belt life.
i found a upper radiator hose at a diesel shop, and it almost fits perfect. have no clue what it is, as the shop didnt know.
ill just run it out the front like normal, but my idea was good, i just didnt think it threw.

removing it on the trail would be a pain, but all i would have to do is remove the running board. a drain is a must, cause if it filled with water, there would be no room for the air to vent.

anyone have pics on how they ran the crankcase vent?
not sure what i want to do with it, but i think ive got the clutch exhaust covered.