Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800 EFI Belt Squeal when you hit the throttle?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 EFI Belt Squeal when you start up???

I posted a similar message Saturday but I made the mistake of including EBS in the title and I think I confused the issue. I realize that the EBS system makes noise and that does not bother me but I have experiencing a squeal that sounds like it is coming from the belt when you hit the throttle and when the ATV slows to a stop. It first started to do this when the machine had low hours 15, after the first wheelies I did with the machine. I thought that I may have damaged the belt so I had it inspected before my warranty ran out and go figure they said the belt was fine.

One dealer I called said it could be related to the EBS system and another said it is probably related to when the cluctch engages and disengages the belt. This happens in H, L, and Park. I assume it also happens in Park because the belt is still spinning? I would like to know if anyone else is experiencing this noise and what it may be related to.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:43 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have about 4 hours on mine and it just started to do the same thing. I figured I'd have it looked at when I get the first service.

Old 12-06-2005, 01:39 AM
Pro Rider

Just for information, when you are stopped and the engine is at idle (doesn't matter what gear you are in), the front clutch DOES spin, but the belt and rear clutch DO NOT spin.

Old 12-06-2005, 09:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

IdahoVinnie - Thanks for the information.

Based on this it sounds like the squeal may be coming from the front clutch. Is this clutch able to be aligned with the belt or is there anything that could be causing this noise from that clutch? It is really strange because when the 800 is cold there is no noise. I am suprised that the noise is there when I am in Park. I thought it was related to the EBS system because it squeals when you hit the throttle and squeals when the engine revs down.

Old 12-07-2005, 02:20 AM
Pro Rider
Default 800 EFI Belt Squeal when you hit the throttle?

As you increase engine rpm, the two sides of the front clutch start getting closer together. (Each side is angled, kind of like a "V", only the bottom of the "V" is about 1" wide.) The belt is at the bottom of the "V" at idle. When these 2 sides get closer together, they "pinch" the belt, and start to rotate the belt. The rear clutch works opposite of the front clutch. You still have the 2 angled sides, but the sides are spring loaded together, and the belt is at the top of the "V". The tighter that the front clutch pinches the belt, the belt continues to rise toward the top of the "V". As this happens, the belt is forcing the rear clutch to spread apart and drop down in the "V". As the belt goes up and down in the clutches, the ratio changes, and that is your "transmisson".

That was a very basic description of the system, so let me know if you need more details.

IMHO It is possible that your belt has formed a glaze on it (and possibly the sides of the clutches).
When it is cold, the belt doesn't make noise. When it is warm, the glazing has more grip and creates the squeel. (A minor amount of slippage is necessary for proper operation of the clutch system.)

That help?

Old 12-07-2005, 09:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

Excellent explaination of how the clutches function, thank you. I assume then that the only fix is to replace the belt if it becomes that annoying to me?

Old 12-07-2005, 08:38 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: WISPORTSMAN800EFI
Excellent explaination of how the clutches function, thank you. I assume then that the only fix is to replace the belt if it becomes that annoying to me?
Not necessarilly.

The puzzling part is whether it is doing it when completely stopped, or when you are coming to a stop, or both.

You stated: "I have experiencing a squeal that sounds like it is coming from the belt when you hit the throttle and when the ATV slows to a stop."
And: "This happens in H, L, and Park. I assume it also happens in Park because the belt is still spinning?"

Sometimes with snowmobiles (same system) we will <u>lightly</u> sand the sides of the clutches several times a winter, to achieve proper grip of the belt.

Since this seems to have started when you did your first wheelies, that is why I feel that the belt is glazed, or possibly slightly streatched, causing it to be (minorly) out of proper adjustment.