Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

cv boot replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 06:21 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cv boot replacement

I'm replacing the FR cv boot on my sp400. I have it all torn apart. I did e search to get some tips and noticed on some threads that the refer to a clip on the drive shaft I can not find this or is it even on my machine. I have no manual I just took it apart and putting back together in the same order.

Old 12-05-2005, 07:36 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: doctorvic
I'm replacing the FR cv boot on my sp400. I have it all torn apart. I did e search to get some tips and noticed on some threads that the refer to a clip on the drive shaft I can not find this or is it even on my machine. I have no manual I just took it apart and putting back together in the same order.
Every time I repair a front boot I remember what I learned the last time: there is no clip on the front joint! I forget this every time and spend hours looking for it. Just get a mallet and something to protect the joint with (2x4 works, just watch for splinters) and give it a few good whacks.

Actually, after re-reading, do you already have the joint off? Because there is a clip inside the joint, but unlike the rears, you do not have to spread it to remove or install the joint - it does so on its own over the flange at the end of the drive shaft.

Tyler

Old 12-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

I just spent 2hrs working on it, I got it back together using a Gorilla-Axle neoprene boot everything was going smooth until I put the outer clamp (the big one) on and found that it hits the strut I was going to reuse the old one but it was to mangled so I guess i'll have to stop in the dealer tomorrow and see if I can buy the clamp, unless one of you have a trick you use. Do you think if I wire tie it will hold.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victor

Old 12-05-2005, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: doctorvic
I just spent 2hrs working on it, I got it back together using a Gorilla-Axle neoprene boot everything was going smooth until I put the outer clamp (the big one) on and found that it hits the strut I was going to reuse the old one but it was to mangled so I guess i'll have to stop in the dealer tomorrow and see if I can buy the clamp, unless one of you have a trick you use. Do you think if I wire tie it will hold.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victor
I've heard the gorilla clamps are too large, as you are experiencing. I doubt the dealer can give you just a clamp, unless they have one they removed from a quad recently and replaced. How much clearance do you have? Would a regular screw-type hose clamp fit in there? If not, an auto parts store may have the clamp you need.

If you still have problems, Danny is a sponsor on this board and has the handle THECVMAN, if you didn't get the boot from him in the first place. He'd know exactly what you need and could probably get you one.

Good luck