Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hey Gunman 457

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 09:59 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hey Gunman 457

Originally posted by: RickRitter
Harley does get a bad rap about the oil leaking . It all goes back to early Harleys . If I recall correctly they were designed to drip oil . I forget what the deal was maybe to keep the primary chain lubed a bit ? I really can't recall , someone here will know why that was .

Rick
if you go way back harley's didn't even have rocker covers . man talk about a mess. the rider had a hand valve he or she had to turn on before starting the motor and then remember to turn off when done so that they oil tank wouln't run out.

Old 12-17-2005, 10:20 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey Gunman 457

Originally posted by: Daniel631
My only grievance with Polaris is I hate working on them. They're not complicated or anything, just a pain in the ***. I blame the engineers and designers for that. Oh, and the only Polaris I have ridden that had "decent" rear brakes was the Preditor 500. I was a tech at a Honda/Yamaha/Polaris dealership in CA and I would cringe when ever I saw one of those "poo poo laris's" being dropped off for some maintenance. I wouldn't own one because of the above reason.
I am just the opposite I dont like working on the other brands.But if I have too.....................[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-frown.gif[/img]

Old 12-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Gunman 457

The oil leaking from the primary oiler is not an excuse . It is how it was designed at the time . This was a design from about 60 plus years ago , cars back then had hand cranks too . Just for the record 50 years from now poeple will talk about how bikes and quads had kickstarters !!!

Harley guys out there please chime in on this :

Weren't early Harley Davidson engines actually modified air compressor motors ? I forget exactly how this story goes but I am sure the Harley boys will know the story .

Rick

Old 12-18-2005, 09:22 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hey Gunman 457

Originally posted by: RickRitter
The oil leaking from the primary oiler is not an excuse . It is how it was designed at the time . This was a design from about 60 plus years ago , cars back then had hand cranks too . Just for the record 50 years from now poeple will talk about how bikes and quads had kickstarters !!!

Harley guys out there please chime in on this :

Weren't early Harley Davidson engines actually modified air compressor motors ? I forget exactly how this story goes but I am sure the Harley boys will know the story .

Rick
From "The Big Book of Harley Davidson" they made their first engine with a 2 1/8x2 7/8 bore and stroke making it a 25 ci and found it was too small and went back and redesigned it to a larger engine using the same porprotions.
Any of you ever see this book it is well worth reading even if you arent a big Harley fan.It itells of how great the american manufacturing company can be and what almost blows them out of bussiness.

Old 12-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Gunman 457

Seems to me gunman457, that your intent in the other thread was not to help anyone. Although it was your opinion, your opinion does not agree with most of the other posts about Scramblers. So the readers of that thread should also get the other side of the argument. When you complain about a quad on any forum, just don't expect that others will have the same opinion as you. I have read hundreds of posts of owners that have trashed their quads by modifying them or not taking care of them. Then they come into the forum and complain that there is a problem with the quad. Sorry, but I stand by my posts!!
Bryce

Old 12-18-2005, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Gunman 457

I didn't trash my quad doing mod's to it. My Scram is in fine shape. All my HPD part's that you guy's warship so much fell apart on me. I put it back to stock. It run's fine and every thing is in good running order thanks to my good mechanical skill's and mechanical engineering background. Not to mention all the part's I had to put into it from all the years and the miles of wear and tear on it and is still nickel and dimming me. I not trashing the the Scram. It's a good bike for what it is, but it doesn't develop enough power for my liking plus it's weight doesn't help ether. It does have it's design flaws in it like anything else. For starters, If I wanted to go mudding, then I would get a 4 wheel drive utility bike that has wheel height to get threw deep mud, and a low gear for tork. The Scram just doesn't cut it in my book for a mudding bike and the performance (even with the mods) don't cut it ether. So I moved onto something better for my taste. I think it is help for people who feel the same as I do. It's faster, lighter, sportier, and handles better. And like I said in the last post, you can take it or leave it. So if you don't like what I have to say, then leave it, because I'm tired of kicking a dead horse. P.S. If anyone cares, I don't favor any manufacture because they will let you down. Keep a open mind and look for quality and good design.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2005, 08:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Gunman 457

All my HPD part's that you guy's warship so much fell apart on me.
Now here is the type of statement that is not needed. I don't worship HPD parts. I don't modify my quads, if I want a faster quad, I will just buy a faster one. Seems with a BSME, that obvious fact would have occured to you also instead of trying to hop up a 4 year old Scrambler.
Keep a open mind and look for quality and good design
Not sure why you say this. Aren't we all looking for good design and high quality? So the breaking plastic on the Kaw is what you call high quality? So the bending tie rod ends on the 700 is high quality? Do not confuse high speed and high horse power for high quality. From what I have read, the suspension on your Kaw is not up to the performance of the engine. That must be the good design you are refering to.
Now this is just my most humble opinion, so you can take it or leave it. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Bryce

Old 12-18-2005, 08:22 PM
RAJ
Pro Rider
Default Hey Gunman 457

Lets put it this way, I can sale my Harley 10 years down the road for the same amount that I gave for it! A Harley is just like a house the price does not drop!

Hey Rick, I like you in all but I would love to see you come around here and put some drip pans under some of these guys bikes.

Old 12-18-2005, 09:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Gunman 457

I know Raj ... :-) It's just a joke .

Old 12-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider
Default Hey Gunman 457

Hey BryceGTX, Like I said. I'm not going to kick a dead horse. I can make a list of flaws of the Scram too, but I'm not going sink to your level. You need to go hang with the Honda guys and tell each other how great your quads are.

Quick Reply: Hey Gunman 457