Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

secondary winch

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2005, 01:29 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default secondary winch

Hey Guys,
I was thinking of buying a winch to mount on the back of my sportsman and if been on ebay looking at the Venom and Gorilla winches i'm leaning towards the Gorilla brand just for the fact it has almost all the same characteristics as the Warn A2500 which is my primary winch. Just wanting to know if anyone has tried or bought this brand and how did it hold up, they are both very cheaply priced winches but again it's just a secondary winch.

Victor

Old 12-17-2005, 09:56 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default secondary winch

That was a huge selling point for me on the MV7. Front and rear winch!!!
I also have a 02 sportsman 700 and wished I had any kind of winch on it, especially one time when I couldnt get the truck that deep into the woods to winch it out. Harbor Freight has a 2K winch for $50. and it cant be all bad. Most of the stuff there isnt that far off of industry standards.

Anyhow, back to the MV7's.
If you can find a dealer that has an 05 in stock, there is a $2,000. rebate on them. I got mine for $8,000. out the door, tax and all. IMO, it's one of the best investments I've made next to my H1's. For a go anywhere, do anything atv, it's awesome. The run-flats are another plus. I've been seriously thinking about buying another because I'm so happy with this one.

Jer

Old 12-17-2005, 03:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default secondary winch

I have one of those winches from harbor freight and it works great. It is on the front of my boss and have used it alot over the past 1 1/2. No problems pulling Sportsmans out of the mud.

Old 12-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Trailblazer
Default secondary winch

why would you want 2 winches, i think you have too much money on ur hands to be waisting on a second winch, if your gunna buy two why dont you buy me my 1st winch to start with [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], i think 1 would be more then plenty..

Old 12-17-2005, 04:31 PM
Pro Rider
Default secondary winch

Originally posted by: dczys
why would you want 2 winches, i think you have too much money on ur hands to be waisting on a second winch, if your gunna buy two why dont you buy me my 1st winch to start with [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img], i think 1 would be more then plenty..
There are many times when I wished I'd had a second winch. Usually in the snow, when you plow up a big pile in front of you and get stuck -- the only way out is to winch yourself over the bank and get even more stuck trying to turn around. A rear winch would yank you right out in the first place.

Old 12-17-2005, 05:17 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default secondary winch

I'm sold.
I'm going to run by Harbor Freight and get one.
I remember getting my Sportsman 700 stuck through the ice in a stream in the middle of winter in waist high water.
I sure wish I had a winch on it then. That was brutal. It took 3 of us better than a half hour in freezing water to get it out. Needless to say, it cut our ride short about 10 minutes into it.

Jer

Old 12-17-2005, 07:51 PM
Pro Rider
Default secondary winch

I run dual WARN ... has been well worth having the rear winch!!

Old 12-17-2005, 09:28 PM
Range Rover
Default secondary winch

I have the warn on the front and the venom on the back. I find I use the back one alot more but if I did it again I would get two warns.

Ty

Old 12-18-2005, 01:12 PM
Trailblazer
Default secondary winch

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by: dczys
why would you want 2 winches, i think you have too much money on ur hands to be waisting on a second winch, if your gunna buy two why dont you buy me my 1st winch to start with , i think 1 would be more then plenty..
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reason I want two winches is that 90% of my ride I do by my self, and when I bury my machine up to the top of the tires in mud and going forward is out of the question because of no objects to winch off ofand i'm not going sideways so going back is the only option and the winch doesn't like it when I run the cable under the quad to pull myself back huge strain on everything.

Old 12-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Trailblazer
Default secondary winch

ya i guess, i normally ride with other ppl so if anyone getts stuck we either pull out with another quad, or just lift it out. but if ya got the cash to burn why not.. how would you mount it? and how much juice do winches suck when ur using one?

Quick Reply: secondary winch