Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Scrambler won't run

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2005, 12:23 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Scrambler won't run

I have a 200 Scrambler 500 4x4.
I just bought it a couple of months ago and haven't had a lot of time to ride it and get really familiar with the machine.
My problems are these:
- I had the bike running for about ten minutes last weekend, when it started revving really high ( to the point where I couldn't put it in gear) and then it stalled and won't start anymore.
- The bike will no longer start or even turn over (it'll turn if I pull the start cord but won't start). I've charged the battery and all the lights come on but thats it, there is a "click" sound every time it hit the starter button.
- Gas is constanlty leaking out of the overflow hose from the tank
- There is, more often than not, gas leak from the first joint in the exhaust.
- The small nipple on the bottom of the carb leaks
- The ignition has to be turned back a 1/4" from 'on' for the lights to come on and start the bike (when it would start)

If anyone has had any of these problems and/or can provide some insight as to what I could possibly do, I would be gratefull.

Thanks a ton

Old 12-23-2005, 01:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

I tore the bike apart and checked the spark plug...figures, it was totally fowled. Changed it and hooked the gas up...first pull on the starter cord and she fired up, running smooth. Only problem is, it still won't start with the electronic start button. Battery has been charged for about 8 hours, lights all work, terminals and any connections I found have been pulled apart and wire brushed clean... I don't get it!!
I had put a piece of fuel line (clear plastic hose) with a screw in the end of it, over the nipple on the bottom of the carb the last time I ran it to try and stop the gas leak (forgot to mention that). I took the hose off, and haven't noticed any gas leaking out of the exhaust (yet), guessing maybe that was causing that little problem. Still don't know why the nipple would be leaking in the first place? Maybe I need to clean the carb or rebuild it?
I can fix the stuff, but I can't diagnose it, weird.
Anyway, I'm still looking for any tips or advise.

Thanks

Old 12-23-2005, 02:30 AM
Pro Rider

I'm surprised that no one else has replied to you. I'll take a shot at some of your questions, and I would guess that someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

"- I had the bike running for about ten minutes last weekend, when it started revving really high ( to the point where I couldn't put it in gear) and then it stalled and won't start anymore."
I assume that it's a 2 cyclye. If a 2 cycle has an unwanted air leak (as in carb boot or leaking gasket), that will lean out the mixture, causing too high of an idle. If this problem is not corrected, the excessively lean mixture can cause engine damage. Does it still rev too high?

"- The bike will no longer start or even turn over (it'll turn if I pull the start cord but won't start). I've charged the battery and all the lights come on but thats it, there is a "click" sound every time it hit the starter button."
Assuming that the battery is good, the problem could be a poor battery connection on either the + or - connections. You could use a test light to check for proper voltage at the starter solonoid when you use the starter button. If that is good, you could have a bad starter switch, starter solonoid, or even the starter. BTW, do you need to pull a brake lever to start it? Is there any other safety switching device that would stop it from turning over?

"- Gas is constanlty leaking out of the overflow hose from the tank"
Did you possibly just fill the fuel tank? If so, the fuel may be warming up and expanding, causing the overflow.

"- There is, more often than not, gas leak from the first joint in the exhaust."
This would be unburnt fuel, possibly due to overchoking, or a needle and seat that are allowing leakage by their sealing points.

I hope that helps. Please post additional info as to how it's going!

Old 12-23-2005, 04:15 AM
Range Rover

The nipple at the bottom of the float bowl is the overflow. I'm willing to bet the float needle needs to be replaced. Possibly even the seat(if it is replaceable).

Your battery needs to be load tested. You can charge it all day long but if it is bad it won't start your machine. The "click" sound you hear is your starter solenoid. Put a good battery on your quad and if it still just clicks, check for voltage to the starter. If you are getting voltage to the starter but it still won't turn over, you need to clean or replace the brush pack.