Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Oil additives

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2005, 08:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil additives

I second the seafoam for gas as a stabolizer and in the engine if you get water in the case. It works great.

Old 12-25-2005, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Oil additives

Originally posted by: Hoopie
I second the seafoam for gas as a stabolizer and in the engine if you get water in the case. It works great.

I have never heard of this SeaFoam. is it like "HEET"?

Old 12-26-2005, 03:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Oil additives

For all of us Rocket Scientist, The following is from Castrol motor web site: Engine oil 101;

Well , lets start with the basics. The oil used in your engine has two primary ingredients: Base oil and additives. ( Here that: Additives) The base oil allows the motor oil to perform its vital function-lubricating the engines moving parts to protect them against wear and tear caused by friction. The additives provide additional engine protection by helping prevent the oil from deteriorating under the extreme temperature conditions in the engine.

Base oil alone is not enough to properly protect your engine. A motor oil needs to perform a wide variety of functions under a wide range of engine operating conditions. Therefore several additives ar incorporated into the formulation.

* Detergent/dispersant additives-are used to maintain engine cleanliness, keeping the various contaminants in a fine suspension.
* Rust and corrosion inhibitors-are added to protect the engine from water and acids formed as combustion by-products.
* Antioxidants-are added to inhibit the oxidation process, which can result in oil thickening and sludge formation.
* Anti-wear additives-form a film on metal surfaces to help prevent metal to metal contact.
* Viscosity modifiers and pour point depressants-help improve the flow characteristics of motor oil.

And there is much more at the web site. So now the question is: How many additives are in my oil right now and do I need anything else or more? If oil additives are for engines with problems only, then why are additives all ready in your oil? What oil company puts what additives in which oil? If additives cause problems, do we need to use oil without additives?

Just an observation...............above and below.......................
Note# Castrol 5W/30 has the same properties as Syntec Castrol 5W/30, both synthetic. Buy each and check it out, color, smell, ordor, taste, boil point, flow point, flash point. A district rep. for Castrol at dealer meeting in MO. showed the chemical break down of both oils to everyone and explained why not to waste money on 5W/30 synthetic.

Good luck everyone on the additive battle. Hey, How many chemicals and additives in you coffee?

Old 12-26-2005, 07:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default Oil additives

we use seafoam in all our fuels, gas, alky, and diesel, this product just plain does what it says it will do on the label. we buy it by the case....

Old 12-26-2005, 12:10 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oil additives

I never heard of heat so I dont know. heres the link to check out seafoam. Everybody I know who uses it will swear by it doing what is says it does.

http://www.seafoamsales.com/motorTuneUp.htm

Old 12-26-2005, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oil additives

went to the link for seafoam. sounds like to good stuff. I have a TB250. sounds like I could just add it to the fuel tank. Think it said 1 ounce per gallon. Is this right. Also how much $$$$ is it.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Range Rover
Default Oil additives

If you spend some $$ and buy a good synthetic oil the additives are already in there and there is no need to add anything else to your oil. You get what you pay for.

Old 12-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider
Default Oil additives

ITS about 6 to 7 dollars at my local autozone. Its good in the crankcase after you sink your quad in the water and change the oil a few times just to make sure you get all the water out. Its great in the gas as an stabolizer for the fuel and it also cleans the carburator and jets and stops them from gumming up during winter storage. You can add directly into the sparkplug to act as a fogger during storage or after sinking your ship in the water. I also use it in my truck to clean the injectors as a maintanance thing once a year.

Old 12-26-2005, 05:35 PM
Trailblazer
Default Oil additives

Z-Max offers 5 year power train and fuel system warranty if used on Yamoto bikes. 5 years is a long time, for something, if they are not sure it works. But I will be the first to that I am NO MECHANIC. Steve

Old 12-27-2005, 02:14 AM
Trailblazer
Default Oil additives

Seafoam is only about $4.50 a can around here.

Quick Reply: Oil additives