Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Which Glacier Plow to use for earth / gravel?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2006, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Glacier Plow to use for earth / gravel?

Thinking of getting a plow to plow snow but also want to use it to push compost and spread loam around. Does anyone know if the 60" can handle earth? I know the 48" will. Also how about the "razor" series? Please shout your expereinces out there if you own any of these. Thanks in advance!

Old 01-05-2006, 03:59 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

the strongest plow w/o a doubt is made by moose. i owned many over the years and the strength is outstanding. only drawback is that it's a pain to hook-up.

the Galcier in comparrison is a much lighter duty plow but it's a cinch to hook-up.

i also noticed that there isn't much angle going downhill before the Glacier blade starts scraping on the plow assembly, thus lifting the blade slightly off the ground.

the Glacier is for lazy people who do light-duty plowing. the Moose is much taller and heavier and performs much better. it can really handle the big, deep, heavy stuff.

because the Galcier isn't nearly as tall as it should be, Polaris offers a cheap upper rubber deflector to compensate for it's shortcommings.

YES, i have owned the Glacier 60" straight blade AND Razor. the Moose 60" straight AND highway blades.

i think if you try the Glacier in dirt, you will bend it, break welds, and distroy it in notime imo.

~MT

Old 01-05-2006, 06:12 PM
Range Rover

use my 52" glacier plow for snow,gravel,topsoil, and it works awsome in comparison to my 52" Warn on my SP 700

check out www.blacklinesnowplows.com

Old 01-05-2006, 07:33 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: kj330
use my 52" glacier plow for snow,gravel,topsoil, and it works awsome in comparison to my 52" Warn on my SP 700

check out www.blacklinesnowplows.com
Hey Kj330, the blackline snow plow link was a dead one. Is that where you bought yours? Check the spelling a flip it back to me. How is the Glacier better than the warn? mtpockets has me thinking about the moose but I really want to believe in the glacier. Seems a snap to install and without the bottom tubes, you can raise the blade even higher. Makes pushing the snow banks back easier. I see them on Ebay for a buy it now of $505 with shipping (52") If anyone knows a better price I'm all ears!

Old 01-05-2006, 08:15 PM
Pro Rider

I love my Glacier plows, and they have been tough enough for me. But yes, they are short height-wise.

To answer the question, polaris recommends the 60" plow for snow only. Being so wide, it has a lot of leverage and could possibly bend or break the mount if you hit a rock or stump on the extreme edge of the blade.

Old 01-06-2006, 10:06 AM
Range Rover

sorry www.blacklinesnowplows.us/product.com

I like the glacier better than the warn for several reasons.
#1 glacier lifts about 3" higher
#2 eylet for winch rope is in front of the winch fairleed on the glacier(doesnt tear the wire or rope up)
on the warn the eyelet is actually slightly under the nose of the machine, whick causes the cable to go backwards (hence bad cable angle and cable frayying alot).
#4 on the warn plow the cutting edge was warn out after a season of plowing in Connecticut? I replaced it with a truck cutting edge.(heavy) but works.
#5 Glacier edge looks great.
#6 none of my glaciers seem to rust/boy the warn sure does know how to

Both my 330 and my 700 are only used around my house but i do use them pretty hard.

I do own 2 04 ATP 500 also (for my landscaping business. My employees plow approx 100 miles of sidewalk every storm with those machines.Both have the glacier 56" on them. I just replaced the cuttin edges on those after a seson of extreme plowing.
i have never seen a moose plow but i have heard of them

Old 01-06-2006, 04:34 PM
Trailblazer

sorry www.blacklinesnowplows.us/product.com

I like the glacier better than the warn for several reasons.
#1 glacier lifts about 3" higher
#2 eylet for winch rope is in front of the winch fairleed on the glacier(doesnt tear the wire or rope up)
on the warn the eyelet is actually slightly under the nose of the machine, whick causes the cable to go backwards (hence bad cable angle and cable frayying alot).
#4 on the warn plow the cutting edge was warn out after a season of plowing in Connecticut? I replaced it with a truck cutting edge.(heavy) but works.
#5 Glacier edge looks great.
#6 none of my glaciers seem to rust/boy the warn sure does know how to

Both my 330 and my 700 are only used around my house but i do use them pretty hard.

I do own 2 04 ATP 500 also (for my landscaping business. My employees plow approx 100 miles of sidewalk every storm with those machines.Both have the glacier 56" on them. I just replaced the cuttin edges on those after a seson of extreme plowing.
i have never seen a moose plow but i have heard of them
THanks I think I will go for the Glacier despite mtpockets warning. I will mostly use for snow I plan on spreading some loam around but mostly I will use to push back my grass/leaves pile back in the off season. I'm leaning towrds the 56" razor. Polaris says you can use for snow and "light dirt" I'll keep ya toasted. Thanks for all the input!

PS, I saw your profile pics....how do you like driving down the tracks and how far do you have to go before you hit the state forest. I have tracks literally in my back yard but I get all jiggy when I drive down them. (What if a train comes?!)

PPS, The black line snow plow link still doesn't work....I even did a google search and nuthin!

Trending Topics

Old 01-06-2006, 05:55 PM
Range Rover

The state forrest is about 2 mile down the tracks. I dont know about the tracks in Mass. but the ones here, if you ride in the center it is next to impossible to get off them.(or on them for that matter). Plus the train thing scares the terds out of me.The freight trais here are heading straight into Mass and moving about 35-45.

Good luck if you want I could probably post a pic of each set-up so you can c what I mean. The glacier is rather pricy but they are worth the money to me..
My plows have moved more than a little bit of earth before. I did two gravel driveways this past year. 20 tons of stone each. no problem. And I have graded several lots also.

have a good day....

Old 01-06-2006, 08:04 PM
Trailblazer

The state forrest is about 2 mile down the tracks. I dont know about the tracks in Mass. but the ones here, if you ride in the center it is next to impossible to get off them.(or on them for that matter). Plus the train thing scares the terds out of me.The freight trais here are heading straight into Mass and moving about 35-45.

Good luck if you want I could probably post a pic of each set-up so you can c what I mean. The glacier is rather pricy but they are worth the money to me..
My plows have moved more than a little bit of earth before. I did two gravel driveways this past year. 20 tons of stone each. no problem. And I have graded several lots also.

have a good day....
Ya I hear ya about the tracks....if a train came by there's no way I'd get off fast enough. I had to stop, put it in low, back and forth a bit. Of course I'm a newbie but still....

I just ordered a whole Glacier razor off of Ebay for $505 including shipping and insurance. It was a Buy it Now auction for $525 but there was a "submit best offer" option. I offered him $450 and he bit on it. (shipping and insurance was $55 more). I'm happy considering my "stealer" wanted $625 for the same setup. I'd like to see those pictures still though. Keep em comin!

Old 01-06-2006, 11:41 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: butzla

have a good day....
Ya I hear ya about the tracks....if a train came by there's no way I'd get off fast enough. I had to stop, put it in low, back and forth a bit. Of course I'm a newbie but still....

I just ordered a whole Glacier razor off of Ebay for $505 including shipping and insurance. It was a Buy it Now auction for $525 but there was a "submit best offer" option. I offered him $450 and he bit on it. (shipping and insurance was $55 more). I'm happy considering my "stealer" wanted $625 for the same setup. I'd like to see those pictures still though. Keep em comin!
There's a side shot of the Glacier in my gallery if you want to see how high it can lift...

Quick Reply: Which Glacier Plow to use for earth / gravel?