Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Securing ATV against theft on trailer???

Old 01-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Securing ATV against theft on trailer???

Hi folks,

I was wondering what you folks do and what you use to lock your ATV’s to your trailer when you are traveling and have to spend a night in a hotel. My theory is the padlock is only as strong as the chain or cable being used. Most chain or cable can be cut with a bolt cutters or cable cutters. I can secure the trailer to the pickup by using a padlock on the trailer hitch and a lockable pin in the receiver hitch, but what is the best way to secure the ATV to the trailer to protect against theft without having the luxury of an enclosed trailer? Is it also worth throwing a big blue tarp over the ATV’s while it’s sitting in the parking lot so it’s a little less visible? Any ideas would help. Thanks!

Old 01-19-2006, 03:47 PM
Elite Pro Rider

The tarp might be a good idea. The thief will have to lift it up and look to see whats in there, and they usually will pass and move on to an easier target.
The wire cables, which have the rubber casing, are pretty tough to cut thru. Krytonite and others make good ones.
You can also hook up alarms, Aeorstich sells some, from fancy to basic. They let off loud noises if the cable has been cut, and some work like motion detectors.
I usually use the steel cable and link all the quads on the trailer together, and try to not leave much slack in the cable, so it would be hard to get a cutter on it.
Park under a light in the parking lot, and have the trailer backed up to a friends vehicle, or a post or wall, so the ramp cant come down.

Old 01-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Trailblazer

I use a padlock through the brake rotor on my scrambler... and I park it so the front end is up against the house/ shed/ etc... Covering it wouldnt hurt for sure... cuz they wont steal what doesnt tempt them....

Old 01-19-2006, 04:24 PM
Pro Rider

This is what I did with my SeaDoo. I went to Home Depot and purchased a door **** alarm. It hangs on the door **** and when you move the door **** it moves the alarm and activates the alarm. I hung one from my handle bars and put a cover on my SeaDoo. I then put a chain with a pad lock through the frame of the trailer and through a wheel. If someone tries to cut or move the trailer, the alarm will sound. It's a good idea to put a cover on the quad so the wind does not shake the alarm. While hanging from the handle bars I even rested the alarm against the side of the SeaDoo so it doesn't just swing in the wind. I also cut the loop on the alarm and made it into a hook for more options on where to hang it. Good luck. $20.00

Old 01-21-2006, 06:54 PM
Trailblazer

Go to this site:

http://www.purepolaris.com/Detail.aspx?ItemID=2873268(PolarisPGACatalog)&txtS earch=theft
(sorry, the link function didn't work when I replied)

Make sure to weld both mounting plated to the trailer, and you should be protected.

Old 01-21-2006, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Elprebse
Go to this site:

http://www.purepolaris.com/Detail.aspx?ItemID=2873268(PolarisPGACatalog)&txtS earch=theft
(sorry, the link function didn't work when I replied)

Make sure to weld both mounting plated to the trailer, and you should be protected.
I think $120 for the club is a joke. Check out the LOUISIANA GUARD DOG. They have cool stuff.
www.laguarddog.com

Old 01-21-2006, 10:39 PM
Range Rover

I was at a store and seen some of those Kryptonite cables. Not too bad in terms of cost, but does anyone know how durable these are? I might get a couple of these to lock the ATV's in the trailer and also use them to tie down the ATV's in the garage as an added security measure. Thanks!

Old 01-22-2006, 12:05 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get a grade 80 3/8" chain. I challenge anyone(well except the guys you see on ESPN on the "worlds strongest man") to try cutting this chain. I sell chain and other industrial supplies and to cut this chain, I use a 4' pair of bolt cutters and have to JUMP UP AND DOWN on them to cut it(I am 6'4" and 290lbs). If someone can cut the chain with bolt cutters(just with arm strength) they are tougher than me and they can have the dang quads! It takes having the chain loose so you can use the floor for leverage.I have a Master lock(kind that they put on vending machines, it is curved that way a blow with a sledge glances off) that I lock the quads up with and I will lock it through the chain and put it under a quad that way bolt cutters cant get to it. A cutting torch or cordless grinder will cut almost anything, so if they are carrying these, we are all screwed. Also it takes a special cutter for the security cables, bolt cutters wont cut cables. Sorry so long, but wanted to give some advice. Oh...btw...go to your local industrial supply store...you can get all this and more there!

Old 01-22-2006, 12:40 AM
Elite Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 99farmboy
I was at a store and seen some of those Kryptonite cables. Not too bad in terms of cost, but does anyone know how durable these are? I might get a couple of these to lock the ATV's in the trailer and also use them to tie down the ATV's in the garage as an added security measure. Thanks!
I have a few of those, and i like the durability, the no rust rubber outer cover, and it also doesnt scratch or ding the quad, and being a braided cable, itll be tough to cut. Then spend just a bit more, on a better lock, and youre set,

Old 01-22-2006, 01:19 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: hondabuster
Originally posted by: 99farmboy
I have a few of those, and i like the durability, the no rust rubber outer cover, and it also doesnt scratch or ding the quad, and being a braided cable, itll be tough to cut. Then spend just a bit more, on a better lock, and youre set,
Yep, that's what I use also. 3/4' cables that are supposed to be uncutable with standard bolt cutters, and a hardended lock that is also supposed to be uncutable. Not cheap as far as cables and locks go, but definately cheap insurance aginst getting my quad stolen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Securing ATV against theft on trailer???