Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris 800EFI vs. Bombardier 800

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006 | 11:48 AM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Polaris 800EFI vs. Bombardier 800

I'm in the market for a utility ATV that has the power of these two machines. I did a search and found no threads comparing the two, so thought I'd ask, though if there are such treads, a pointer to those would be nice.

I know the engine styles are different, and that the Polaris is actually a 760cc engine, but I would like more information as to suspension, usage, and particularly owners that have each, or thoroughly tested each before purchase.

And last, is there a large discount Bombardier dealership on the east coast, prefferably in the southeast?

I am posting this in the Bombardier forum too.

Old 01-24-2006 | 02:10 PM
Range Rover

The Bomb 800 is nice, BUT the SP 800 has a better ride and fit. On the trails the SP is way better handling and has plenty of snap. My buddy owns a Polaris shop here in NE Conn. and had a BOMB in for comparison. So we beat the hell out of it. I didn't like the brake set up on the BOMB, in the mud we did so much damage to the front rotor it was squeling all the way home. In a straight drag race( on a dirt road) the BOMB was faster. About 2.5 bike lengths in an 1/8 mile, but the SP was ahead for the first 50'.
And the last thing we didn't like besides the price,was the idea of was all the electronics. and the way it was wired. (it seamed like there could be problems). Here they want 9500.00 for the BOMB 800 XT with the winch and brush guards. And the SP is 8100.00. All around I like the SP
This is my first hand opinion, I have beat on both, and like them both, but I like the SP alot more and think it is a better value.

This is just my opinion and some may feal otherwise.............(I have seen recently how people on this forrum have been being just plain crabby, so I just wanted to add that)

Old 01-25-2006 | 06:00 PM
Pro Rider

Keep in mind like model vs like model the MSRP is about the same. If compared to an XT model, sure the prices are differnt look at the extras you are getting.

I have the Bomb 800 and had the SP800, For the life of me can not figure out how anyone could think the Sp800 handeled better. The SP800 seemed to roll allot in the hard corners where the Bomb has a lower cg and the trailing arm suspension, that by design prevents the body roll you get from the more traditional a-arm designs that Polaris and many others use.The Bomb carves up trails almost as good as my prairies.

As far as brakes I think they are both good setups, The bomb's do make allot of strange noises when you first get them, but that does go away after a few miles. I speculate they have some type of coating either on the roter or the pads that has to wear off before the noise goes away. The Sp is very smooth on the trial however I have not noticed hardley any differnce in comparison. The Bomb seems just as smooth to me. They both fit me very well.

This is in know way ment as anything other than my honest opinion of the two machines. I spent a year with the Sp800 and now about 4 or 5 months with the Bomb 800. These coments are not ment in any way as being crabby.

Old 01-25-2006 | 06:25 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: cc1999
Keep in mind like model vs like model the MSRP is about the same. If compared to an XT model, sure the prices are differnt look at the extras you are getting.

I have the Bomb 800 and had the SP800, For the life of me can not figure out how anyone could think the Sp800 handeled better. The SP800 seemed to roll allot in the hard corners where the Bomb has a lower cg and the trailing arm suspension, that by design prevents the body roll you get from the more traditional a-arm designs that Polaris and many others use.The Bomb carves up trails almost as good as my prairies.

As far as brakes I think they are both good setups, The bomb's do make allot of strange noises when you first get them, but that does go away after a few miles. I speculate they have some type of coating either on the roter or the pads that has to wear off before the noise goes away. The Sp is very smooth on the trial however I have not noticed hardley any differnce in comparison. The Bomb seems just as smooth to me. They both fit me very well.

This is in know way ment as anything other than my honest opinion of the two machines. I spent a year with the Sp800 and now about 4 or 5 months with the Bomb 800.
That's a reasonable assessment, cc1999. If you put both side by side from a cost standpoint, the Outie 800 vs. the 800SP are about $1000.00 apart for what my local dealer says he'll sell an Outie800 for (so far) and what I can get the 800SP for in Chattanooga, $800.00 difference in Atlanta. That said, with the Outie800 you get an overhead cam V-twin, 130 pounds less weight, and at least 25% more power and torque. I've just about resolved paying the extra money.

Old 01-25-2006 | 06:36 PM
Range Rover

I guess no matter which machine you buy Wether it be a BOMB or a SP 800, you are getting alot of machine for your money. And they are both fast as he11... I personally think that I will never spend over 5000.00 for a quad..

Old 01-25-2006 | 09:46 PM
Weekend Warrior

If you are really wanting to get a good comparison on the two bikes see if you can get your hands on the december 2005 issue of dirt wheels magazine. They had like a four page article on the two bikes in which they put them to the test in a 1000 mile comparison. They tested everything like suspension, four wheel drive capabilities, towing, fuel consumption, drag racing, and much more. In the end though the riders both agreed each bike was a great bike, but overall the victory went to the sportsman for the suspension and mainly because the sportsman had very few mechanical problems over the 1000 miles where as the bomb. had quite a few.

Old 01-25-2006 | 09:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Now that i think about it, it may be the december 2005 issue of ATV Rider, but it's one of the two for sure.

Old 01-25-2006 | 10:27 PM
Pro Rider

Sportsman 800.. its in its 2nd yr of production, as the bomb is in its first (i know thats not a big deal) .. its got nice PXT's compared to the horrible badlands on the bomb.. Dual Exhaust on the SP has got to be the nicest, coolest thiing i've ever seen on any fourwheeler. Better ride, and great power. The bomb has SO MANY things going for it, but if it were up to me, (which it may be in a month or 2) i would get the SP.. believe me, its worth it.
----------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Green)
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
Highlifter Lift Kit [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

2001 Honda Rancher ES 350
Winch
Sold

Old 01-25-2006 | 10:42 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: arkmudder
Now that i think about it, it may be the december 2005 issue of ATV Rider, but it's one of the two for sure.
I'm checking it out, but ATV Rider doesn't sell back issues on it's web site, I'd order a copy if I could. Maybe it's for sale still at a local newsstand, I'll look around.

Old 01-25-2006 | 10:51 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i cant remember what issue it was, i think the second issue of QUAD magazine, they rated all the utes, and the outy got first place because of its speed and engine, though they gave the sportsman 800 a place of first and a half. haha. they said the sportsman was so good that they coudlent give it second, but the bomb had speed and acceleration on the 800 so they coudlent give it first.

if it were me, id go with the sportsman. its an over all better bike. it might not be the very fastest, but its the second fastest Ute produced, and in my opinion, the most overbuilt, strongest, and capable for any job.

Quick Reply: Polaris 800EFI vs. Bombardier 800