Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

800 wheels and suspension question

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2006, 05:04 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 800 wheels and suspension question

First off, I want to thank all of you who have posted so much helpful information in this and other forums. I have been an active viewer/reader of many interesting conversations. The information I gather has helped me a great deal. Up to this point I can’t be accused of posting a lot but still feel like a bystander to many great threads. Generally, I am able to get the desired info by doing a search of previous threads. As far as responding, I feel more than comfortable leaving that to other, more knowledgeable members.

I would really appreciate everyone’s input on a couple questions. There have been many previous conversations on these topics but I would like to get a more concentrated group of opinions which take in account any new tech/innovation and personal preferences/experiences.

My preferred type of riding is long-range, expedition style riding on a Polaris 800. Some are just simple day rides while others last several days Along with that style riding is the inevitable “ton” of gear. I am relatively satisfied with the rear suspension while fully loaded (after stiffening with a spanner) but the front is another story. The suspension is okay when unloaded but forget about it when loaded!!! Way to soft. I would like to eliminate the sag when loaded but maintain the plush ride whether loaded or not. Progressive makes an adjustable front and I found a vendor online that claims are made for the 800. However, other vendors have claimed progressive does not make one for the 800. And whether they do or not, how will do they work? Hi-Lifter has front springs that they advertise as able to carry an additional 100lbs. But in anyone’s experience have they proved reliable and/or do they take away from the smooth ride? I have also seen individuals make there own spacers, blocks and all sorts of mods. I was just hoping others could envision my riding style and advice on some tried and true methods while allowing decent performance both loaded and unloaded.

Another issue is the geometry involved with wheels. I know that there is quite a bit of calculations that go into offset and whatnot when Polaris designs a wheel for a machine. Although those designs may be subtle they (according to who you talk to) are vital for optimal operation. On my first 800 I replaced the stock wheels and tires with Maxxis 8 spoke and Bighorn radials (27). I am contemplating doing that on my second 800 or possibly putting the radials on the stock rims. My question is two-fold, how far out of factory specs (Polaris rims) are the Maxxis 8-spoke and what potential problems will that variation cause. Also because the rear rim on the Polaris is about an inch wider than the front could I just mount the Bighorn radials (27) on them without a problem? Also, if anyone has or knows someone who has mounted 27 bighorns on the 800 stock rims can they elaborate on their experience as well as how much protection the tires provide the stock rims versus the stock tire (which is virtually 0 for the front)?

I have posted this in several forums I visit so I apologize in advance to those who keep stumbling upon it. Thanks a lot!

Old 01-27-2006, 12:48 AM
Pro Rider

When you put stiffer springs on you will get a stiffer ride. Let some air out of your tires after you install the stiff springs. And when you ride without loaded front rack your quad will boing, boing, boing, bouncing the front end.

You can buy after market wheels with the same offsets as the factory wheels. But the aluminum spoked wheels are not for heavy duty use. Spoked wheel say not for compititon use on them. If you are talking about the steel spoked wheels you are ok. Putting radials on your stock wheels is the way to go, save money and keep the strength needed for hauling extra gear.

I sell many atv parts on ebay every day and the springs I don't have, the tires maybe.

good luck............handycap

Old 01-27-2006, 09:27 PM
Trailblazer

I have the hilifter springs in my 03 700. I put them in 3 weeks back and they work great with my snowplow on. They add 100 lb of lift like they say. I have not drove it yet with the plow off to see what it is like but I had to take the plow off tonight because i bent it today. I will take it out and let you know how it rides.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

you can adjust the preload of the rear springs. if you get stiffer springs, a aftermarket set of struts would be in action to really give it a nice ride and sport feel. a set of Fox or any other brand of struts for the Scrambler will take care of it.

Old 01-28-2006, 12:14 AM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info gents. I think I will go with the 27 BigHorn Radials on my stock rims. As far as the suspension I am torn between making spacers ala 2" galvanized spacers or the highlifter springs. Let me know how that 700 goes sans plow.

Thanks

Klink

Old 01-28-2006, 07:01 AM
Weekend Warrior

Handycap,

When you refer to spoke rims not being heavy duty are you refering to the Maxxis 8 spoke wheel as well. I mean they are pretty stout rims what is not heavy duty about them?

Thanks

Old 01-30-2006, 01:43 PM
Trailblazer

I took the 700 out on sunday and the front is stiffer, but i let some air out of my tires{7 psi to4.5} and it helped. I have itp mud lite xtrs and used the stock rims but needed 1 inch spacers in front to clear tie rod end. tire size is 26x9x12. good luck