Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Snowmobile clutch springs

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2006 | 10:51 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Snowmobile clutch springs

Do clutch springs made for Polaris and Arctic Cat snowmobiles work on our ATV's? I found a guy locally that will sell his for less than $2 a piece.

Old 02-02-2006 | 11:25 AM
Range Rover

NO

Old 02-02-2006 | 11:55 AM
Administratorż
Resident Killer!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men". Willy Wonka: 1971
Cigars! Earth ne'eer did breed such a jovial weed.
A Tiger Doesn't Lose Sleep Over Opinions of Sheep

Originally posted by: Zbart1
NO
Another No.

Old 02-02-2006 | 07:30 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Polaris ATVs and Sleds use the same type of springs and shift weights.But most sled springs are a higher engagment with a higher shift rate and shiftout.If you know your clutching you can use them.

Old 02-02-2006 | 09:10 PM
Range Rover

Polaris ATVs and Sleds use the same type of springs and shift weights.But most sled springs are a higher engagment with a higher shift rate and shiftout.If you know your clutching you can use them.

You are right about that springs and weights being that same as far as size go, but that where it ends.

Most snowmobiles produce 110 to 170 horsepower and most atv’s 30 to 70

Most snowmobile engagement rpm’s are around 2000 to 4500 most atv’s 800 to 1200

The standard clutch on a snowmobile is a p-85 (adjustable)
The standard clutch on a atv is a p-80 (non adjustable)

The primary spring mainly controls the engagement but it also controls the shift rate and final shift out rate.

On a snowmobile the shift is a lot slower though the acceleration phase and needs more spring at a Higher weight Springs rates average about 130/300 pounds

A atv shifts very quickly though the acceleration phase and needs less spring at a lower rate. Spring rates go from 3 to 30/150 pounds

The Weights have two properties used for tuning, the weight itself (usually measured in grams) and the curvature.

The weight determines How much RPMS are needed to overcome the loads of the Primary spring and secondary. Light weights, need Higher RPMS, Heavier weights use less RPMS.
The Curvature determines the Engagement speed and the aggressiveness of acceleration. Weights are listed in Grams, curvature and engagement

The thing again here is the curve and the amount of weight either at the tip end or at the bushing end is really the secret to making them work. Snowmobiles need a different curve then an atv to work properly even if there weight is the same.

Flyweights for a snowmobile usually are 60 to 80 grams
Flyweights for a atv usually are 40 to 60 grams

Didn’t mean to get this involved (you can see by my post above) but there it is

Zbart

Old 02-02-2006 | 11:19 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

zbart you gave a good basic clutch lesson there,you only missed one thing .......the atv clutch is P90 not 80

Old 02-03-2006 | 12:01 AM
Range Rover

ftwflh ........You got me there!!....lol

Old 02-03-2006 | 11:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, I have to throw this in as well.......... The 10 series weights are actually a snowmobile style weight with the heavy part in the middle for more acceleration as the clutch is shifting instead of slamming when the clutch first starts to shift. A lot of ATVs that receive a clutch kit will get those type of weights. They also must use the snowmobile clutch washer with the 10 series to work properly.
Zbart, you do have a very good understanding of clutching. One thing to keep in mind is that a lot of modified 400's are not turning the factory RPMs any longer. Some are turning from 1k to more than 2k more than stock and can accomodate several different springs and weights. HPD uses a snowmobile spring in their powermax setup. I also ran a primary spring with around 160 engagement and 300 shift out pressure.
I also wouldnt have answered here, but to simply say "NO" that they wouldnt work is not true. You just have to know how clutching works and how one thing will affect another.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-03-2006 | 11:54 AM
Range Rover

My 400 turns 8300 rpm's. Is that good or bad??

Old 02-03-2006 | 12:54 PM
Range Rover

Well FTWFLH AND Baba ……….I have to admit you guys are right they will work.
Not well probably and not without some modification but they will work.

So I stand corrected there!..
One should never make a blanket statement ever about anything because that’s always a recipe for disaster!........( you think I would learn)

My thoughts were if you buy a box of snowmobile springs or a boxcar of snowmobile springs, the average person would be hard pressed to find one that would work (AND WORK WELL)

But if you’re knowledgeable like you guys have stated and you may find that pearl in the oyster!!

Quick Reply: Snowmobile clutch springs