Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Nerf bars for 2003 Scrambler 500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2006 | 08:45 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Nerf bars for 2003 Scrambler 500 4x4

can someone email me how to modify ac pro peg nerf bars for the banshee to fit my 03 scrambler 500 4x4?. my email address is krafka84@gmail.com

Old 02-07-2006 | 08:56 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have the banshee bars but I do have raptor bars and they would be pretty simular
to mod and install. I could Email you how I did it but I have to go to work. Do a search
on this subject because I know that I have explaned it in detail before. If you can't find
anything let me know!

Old 02-08-2006 | 01:20 AM
Weekend Warrior

OK. I finally got the time to get my webpage started.

bigwillyheels.com

This is just the pics of my installation of Pro Peg Banshee nerf bars on a 2005 Scrambler 500 4x4. Not exactly pretty, but they seem to get the job done.

I forgot to take pics of the first step.... cut the floorboards off with a reciprocating saw or whatever you have. After you get the floorboards off, grind everything smooth and clean. I welded my my footpeg mounts AND bolted them to the frame so they do not move at all. I am still not happy with they way I have the fronts, but I didn't want them creating a hang-up problem underneath.

This is an ongoing project. I will dress it up a little when I get some free time.

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:22 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

hey thanks your pics are going to help out so much. Im buyin the nerfs bars next wed, Ill try to get some pics when Im done, have you thought about trimming your fenders, I just took 2 inches off each fender on mine and fabricated a support bracket one for each back fender to stiffen everything up looks a lot more sporty

Old 02-08-2006 | 09:28 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

Why did you alter one of the nerf bars so that the heel guard is only half of what the other one is?

Old 02-08-2006 | 10:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

Yes, I am thinking about shaving the fenders a little. I just want to give it a couple of rides before I cut them because I ride in a fair amount of mud. I have also been thinking about how to stiffen up the fenders too. The support bracket idea is coming soon.

And no, I did not modify the heel guards at all. That is the way they made them for the Banshee. From the pics I have seen, it is there for clearance of the brake assembly on that side. I worked good for me because I wanted to keep all the stock plastic guards in place. From what I hear (from duneaholic I believe) the Raptor version has identical heelguards.

Also, remember the Scrambler frame is not the same width from center on both sides. The left side is straight. The right side is curved outward (because of the offset swingarm) when looking at the quad from the rear. This causes the nerf bar to stick out farther on the right side than the left. I also had to play around with the mounting to get the left side front of the nerf in a good mounting spot and moved the right side mount a little forward to get it past a support bar for good mounting. Most of this playing around would have been alleviated if there was no front drive shaft or you wanted to just mount the front of the nerfs under the frame. I could not put them under the frame because I use the skidplate to slide over stuff often and was afraid they would get ripped off.

Oh yeah, thanks to duneaholic and all the others on some of the old threads on this subject for all they help they gave me. This would have been much harder without their help.

Old 02-09-2006 | 09:20 AM
|
Weekend Warrior

what diameter bolts did you use? and how many?, and what spots did you weld? Did you ever think of using rivots? I will try to post pics of my scram sometime soon kinda busy between the nerf bar mod project, front DG bumper and exhaust projects plus insulating and drywalling my garage and putting that stain and water and oil proof stuff on the floor. feel free to email me directly at krafka84@gmail.com or msn messenger krafka2003@hotmail.com or yahoo krafka84

Old 02-09-2006 | 10:06 AM
Pro Rider

Nice job bigwilly. No problem glad I could help. It's not the easiest mod to do but I think when it's done it just looks plain sharp and sets the quad apart from the others.

Old 02-10-2006 | 12:09 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have used 10 bolts so far:

Honestly I just went a bought 10 each of the following sizes: 1", 1 1/2", 2", 2 1/2", and 3". You can never have too many bolts laying around. I used all grade 5 bolts with locknuts, two sizes of flat washers, and blue locktite. All this cost me around 35 bucks at the hardware store. It's hard to say what sizes I ended up using in each spot. If you really need the sizes, I can pull all the stuff off and check this weekend.....

(THESE ARE ESTIMATES OF THE SIZES ONLY)
2 (3") for securing footpegs to mounts (came with nerf bars)
4 (2 1/2") for holding footpeg mounts to frame
2 (1") for pipe holder used to hold front of left nerf down (I will probably remove this and just put a bolt through frame)
1 (2 1/2") to bolt front of right nerf to frame
1 (2") to fix mistake of cutting front of right nerf too short the first time

The only welding I did was for the footpegs mounts. With the bolts in there, it still seemed to flex a little bit with my 245lb butt on one. So I sloppily welded the mounts to the frame. I can now stand on each mount and there is absolutely no flex.

I bought the welder because I will eventually make some mounts like the footpeg ones and weld to the frame. These will make the front of the nerfs mount just like the footpeg section. That will fix the problem of the front looking so bad. You will also be able to move the mounting spots around so the footpegs will be comfortable for you. I just need to remember how to weld good again ( been 16 years since auto shop in school).

The most important thing I can say to you is THINK, PLAN, THINK AGAIN, PLAN AGAIN before you cut or drill. Take your time. If you bolt them to frame, you have to watch out where the bolts will come through the other side of the frame. Make sure you have room to put washers on the bolts if you want. I had to re-shape several because I did not pay attention.

I still believe the regular nerf bars are a much easier installation since you only have to figure out how to do the fronts. But I just love how dunaholics nerfs looked on his wifes ride. Those are the Raptor version I believe he said.

Play around with it.... maybe you can come up with that magic easy way we have all been dreaming of.

Old 02-10-2006 | 12:45 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

sweet thanks man

Quick Reply: Nerf bars for 2003 Scrambler 500 4x4