Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman 800EFI Horsepower?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman 800EFI Horsepower?

Originally posted by: 82DuneBanshee
Keep that in mind tho spyder, polaris is always on top of atv market,
Uh... i dont think so. Maybe in the 4x4 segment, but they arent always on top, I will say they are always in competition.

But as far as the rest of the industry is concerned they arent. Polaris doesnt win more races than Honda or Yamaha, its because their sport quads cant compete with them. I do admire that new quad the Outlaw they came out with, now that a major manufacturer has come out with rear suspension on a sport quad the rest of the manufacturers will also start releasing their versions (assuming the Outlaw is a good selling and reliable quad).

Even the Polaris Ranger isnt as good as the Yamaha Rhino
A) I ride with Grizzlies all the time.......do you know what Grizzlies do a lot of????......break......axles, CV's, tie-rods and the thin tubular steel frame.

B) The very same thing applies to the Rhino vs Ranger. The Rhino is the "Sports-Oriented" machine and as such is built no-where-near as ruggedly as the Ranger. The Ranger is the bullet-proof beast of that market but it still has massive suspension and off-roading capabilties. Furthermore, it's utility factor is so far more than the Rhino it's not even in the same class. Just check out the rear boxes and the load capability. The Rhino is a fun toy with very limited utilty capability. The Ranger is a highly capable utility work machine that will also go anywhere and everywhere the Rhino does........albeit with a bench seat, without breaking and hauling a far greater load.

Old 02-12-2006, 02:13 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i know up here polaris out sells everything esle, and they did have the first on the auto and irs that seems to be the norm for all the others to follow. the real test for me is all the other brands i ride w/ (which isnt all mind you) i have better ride by far and im the one pulling the others out of the mud. thats the real test for me. besides its not what you have that wins, but who spende the most money that wins. lol

Old 02-12-2006, 04:52 PM
Trailblazer

Its all good, we all love quads... that is the main thing!!

STOP ENVIRONMENTALIST LIES THAT SHUT DOWN OUR PUBLIC LANDS!!

Old 02-12-2006, 05:07 PM

Originally posted by: 82DuneBanshee

STOP ENVIRONMENTALIST LIES THAT SHUT DOWN OUR PUBLIC LANDS!!
I am in complete agreement with you here. I am fed up with the Environmental lobby spewing false propaganda and outright lies that not only hurt us as ATVers....buy also in many other aspects as a nation and that cause us to foolishly hamper our own progress.

"Global Warming" for example is nothing more than a theory. Yet through the incecent lobbying of the Environmental ***** they've got the whole world believing that the poles are going to melt tommorrow and it'll be "WaterWorld" everywhere if we don't completely stop burning all fossil fuel.........THIS IS ABSOLUTE LUNACY!!!

Old 02-12-2006, 09:30 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Backinthesaddleagain
It's likely that it's already maxed out at 760cc. You can't bore and stroke the thing infinately.

HP is not the key figure for a utility quad. Do you want to do 80 MPH and 7000 RPM through a rock-strewn woods trail???.......or using the machine for work???

Torque is a much better indicator of an engines usable powerband. HP is a better indicator of an engines total output at a high RPM. For this reason HP is a far more important factor for perform/sport/race bikes where speed and light weight are the goal and torque is a far more important factor for a utility machine where lower RPM and a broad power-band of torque is more important.

HP is somewhat a function of RPM. This why Formula 1 cars rev at 19,000 RPM and have such high peak HP numbers with a relatively small displacement engine. Yet you look at all the big, heavy work machines such as tractor trailers and they utilized low RPM, relatively low HP but massive torque engines.

I could see the Preddy engine developing as much HP as a SP 800. But try putting that Preddy engine in a SP 800 and see what happens. It'll fall on it face unless you re-do the clutch set-up not engage until higher RPM and even then the powerband will be narrow and useablity will be far reduced.
I will have to disagree where CVT transmissions are involved, which is everything in this market segment. The CVT puts the engine near peak HP at nearly any speed, so you can't really use a lot of torque at lower revs. You can't hold a CVT bike at 3,000 rpm when you stand on it.

Dt

Old 02-12-2006, 09:59 PM
Range Rover

54 hp tq 52orsomething I think need you go to better check at aaen check on will show you on picture dnyo from aaen company I am sorry sometime good and not good english

Old 02-12-2006, 10:20 PM
Pro Rider

I own two Polaris ATV's BUT

I know someone who just traded in his fairly new 800 for an Outlander, he loves how much more powerful it is, take it for what it's worth.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by: Ductape
Originally posted by: Backinthesaddleagain
It's likely that it's already maxed out at 760cc. You can't bore and stroke the thing infinately.

HP is not the key figure for a utility quad. Do you want to do 80 MPH and 7000 RPM through a rock-strewn woods trail???.......or using the machine for work???

Torque is a much better indicator of an engines usable powerband. HP is a better indicator of an engines total output at a high RPM. For this reason HP is a far more important factor for perform/sport/race bikes where speed and light weight are the goal and torque is a far more important factor for a utility machine where lower RPM and a broad power-band of torque is more important.

HP is somewhat a function of RPM. This why Formula 1 cars rev at 19,000 RPM and have such high peak HP numbers with a relatively small displacement engine. Yet you look at all the big, heavy work machines such as tractor trailers and they utilized low RPM, relatively low HP but massive torque engines.

I could see the Preddy engine developing as much HP as a SP 800. But try putting that Preddy engine in a SP 800 and see what happens. It'll fall on it face unless you re-do the clutch set-up not engage until higher RPM and even then the powerband will be narrow and useablity will be far reduced.
I will have to disagree where CVT transmissions are involved, which is everything in this market segment. The CVT puts the engine near peak HP at nearly any speed, so you can't really use a lot of torque at lower revs. You can't hold a CVT bike at 3,000 rpm when you stand on it.

Dt
I mentioned setting up the clutches (meaning the CVT primary and secondary clutches) for a higher RPM. Specifically this would be a higher engagement RPM but just as importantly a higher shift-out RPM. You can use different springs or a clutch kit or whatever combo to allow the engine to rev higher which is where the powerband of the Preddy engine is as compared to the twin SP engines. I put a pink EPI spring in my SP400 and that's exactly what it did......the stock spring wouldn't let it rev while climbing hills and under load >>and it would bog<<. The pink EPI spring allowed the engine to rev a few hundred RPM higher while hill climbing or while under other slow speed loaded conditions. Obviously you want to set up the tranny engagement and operating RPM with the powerband of the engine. You can do this to a CVT by changing springs and weights.

I do however understand what you are saying relative to the CVT constantly adjusting to maintain the RPM in the powerband. And you're right.....they are great.......all I'm saying is that they too can be tweaked/adjusted for the powerband of the engine.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

just to make everyone clear, the SP800 motor is a completely different motor than the SP700's. its not a stroked or bored 700 motor

Old 02-12-2006, 10:57 PM

Originally posted by: spyder6
just to make everyone clear, the SP800 motor is a completely different motor than the SP700's. its not a stroked or bored 700 motor
Thanks Spyder.........I for one did not know that. I figured it was based on the very same parallel twin block and design as the 600/700 and just bored/stroked a bit more. Can you tell what's different about it?

Quick Reply: Sportsman 800EFI Horsepower?