Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Racing a scrambler

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006 | 10:54 PM
|
Range Rover
Default Racing a scrambler

Does anyone on here race a scrambler other than drags. I am looking into doing some sort of racing but I don't want to spend all of my money on suspension for MX style racing. Are there any races in Wisconsin that you don't need to be really modded for. I saw the WATVA SuperChallenge Series and I was looking into doing that it seems like a lot of fun. Has anyone raced in this or know much about it. Also, what would be a good suspension upgrade for a scrambler. I do race a little bit on MX tracks at friends houses and I want to cushion the jumps some more, they are really hard right now and its really crappy in whoops. Any advice is helpful thanks!

Old 02-17-2006 | 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

You know something? interestingly enough i asked the exact same question about 2 years ago regarding my X. The answer everyone gave me at the time was to make a scrambler MX ready, sell it and use the money to buy a Pred. Well i bought a pred, (kept the old scrammy tho... call me soft) and couldn't be happier w/ the machine's performance. As anyone who knos me on these forums knows, my particular machine has had some pretty big problems, but that's extremely uncharactersitic of predators... anyway:::

I know works makes to AT steeler struts for the front. You can get progressive suspension spring kits through Hotseat or EPI i think... HPD may even have some. PEP made an awesome rear shock for the things, and from what i hear the Pure Polaris Fox Struts for the front were actually pretty sweet too. If your Talking about XC racing w/ the thing, you might just do alright [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]. Hope i helped a little.

P.S. Scrammys are sweet aren't they? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-17-2006 | 11:17 PM
|
Range Rover

Yea I like mine a lot! I was thinking that I probably should have bought something else instead but I don't really want to sell mine right now cuz I just bought it in July. The only reason I got a scrammy was because I wanted a fast 4x4 but I ended up getting a 2wd version instead but I'm not disappointed at all it'll still hold up pretty good against the preds I race against I can't beat em or really hang with them that much but it's not too bad. Gonna get a rcr stage 1 for it pretty soon to hopefully wake it up and I have v-force 2 reeds to install in it. Anyone know how to install those. I don't know much about atv mechanics. I'm assuming that you would just have to remove the airbox and the carb and then it should be right there and put the new one on or am I wrong??? I have a repair book for it but my uncle borrowed it right now and I'm waiting to get that back.

Old 02-18-2006 | 09:11 AM
Pro Rider

2000scrammy-
I've never heard of the SuperChallenge series. I know there is a xc circuit throughout Minnesota, but that's quite a drive from your side of the state. You have the right idea on installing those reeds. Pull out the air box and the carb, and there will be 6 bolts holding on the reeds(basically right under the top motor mount). Pull out the stock reeds, pop in the new ones, and give her a test run. I did have to adjust the needle clip when I put my Boyesens on my stock 95 Sport400. For the suspension, I've also heard the front fox struts are a great improvement over stock. I'll be getting my rear shock reworked by PEP when I get the funds saved up.

Old 02-20-2006 | 07:00 AM
Weekend Warrior

I went from a 4x4 99 Scrambler 400 to a predator. I loved my scrambler, but I think if iwas planning on racing i would definatley use the predator. I had some fox shocks with adjustable settings, i don't remember the model numbers but they worked really well. If your gonna race the scrammbler have fun, just dont be too dissapointed if you get beat by a predator.

Old 02-20-2006 | 10:09 AM
Pro Rider

I built my scrammy, see pics.. I raced it XC all year last year. It ran great, worked awesome. Only draw back, its still heavy. I was going to keep racing it, but chose to go with a 450r for this season.

Old 02-20-2006 | 01:52 PM
Pro Rider

flat track could be good for a 400, or TT.