Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

wet clutch,what is it?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wet clutch,what is it?????

what is this wet clutch system i see on here all the time,can someone explain how this system works,confused,confused??? wayout, out.............

Old 02-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

a wet clutch system is running in oil. it uses friction plates w/ fiber plates to grab together in an oil bath that runs the engine oil.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:22 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: stendori
a wet clutch system is running in oil. it uses friction plates w/ fiber plates to grab together in an oil bath that runs the engine oil.
wayout here, still don't understand, how does the belt come into play,and why do you need two systems,i don't think thats how they work at all,don't make sense to me,it's going to take more than that little bit of information to get me to understand,need more details.wayout,out.....................thanks for trying!

Old 02-19-2006, 09:38 AM
Pro Rider

i think the only polaris that uses a wet clutch is the new hawkeye. and thats because it does not have a low range. this way the wet clutch slips before you burn your belt.

Old 02-19-2006, 09:57 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i am guessing that this is not the same kind of wet cutch as in a motorcycle. so your saying that the hawkeye is a wet clutch and a belt? how is that even possiable?

Old 02-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider

Maybe this pic will help you understand
http://216.37.204.206/JHSport/Polari...e=13&A=409&B=4

Old 02-19-2006, 11:06 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The pred and outlaw also have wet clutches.....guess that might be obvious.....they are exactly like a motorcycle....

Old 02-19-2006, 11:50 AM
Pro Rider

oops yea i overlooked the obvious ones...lol..

Old 02-19-2006, 12:09 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i still dont think the hawkeye cutch wouls be like a regual wet clutch such as the pred. it must be a didnt type system that runs another clutch. couldnt see the pic. that jfjf was trying to show me.but a true wet clutch uses the engine oil to run it. thats why your suppose to use the oil w/ the additves so the clutches keep their grip.

Old 02-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Pro Rider

the Suzuki/Cat and Yamaha auto belt transmissions use an internal "wet clutch" to allow for slip while idling, that way the belt is always tight like on a power steering pump for example. I was told to compare it to a chainsaw clutch where the weights spin as the rpms increase and get closer to the drum surface that surrounds them until they make enough contact to spin the drum therefore turning the chain. same principal with the Suzuki except it is internal and shares the engine oil. the ratio changes are then done externally with the belt and pulleys. seems as though the Japanese developed their system from a gear transmission perspective to stay away from belt slip, while the Polaris crew swapped in a snowmobile set up.

Quick Reply: wet clutch,what is it?????