Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

belt for automatics

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 05:14 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default belt for automatics

I got an 2005 ATP 500HO. After 100 hours I blew my first belt?? got a new one and it lasted about 10 hours I'm on my third and not sure how long it's going to last? Anyone else have problems like this?

Old 02-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Range Rover

Welcome to the forums. I have never had a problem like you are having and don't know a whole lot about the belts but I would say that something must not be adjusted right. To burn through belts like that on a stock atv something must not be right. There's probably too much tension somewhere or the clutches aren't aligned properly. I would have the CVT checked out by someone who knows their stuff. Is there a warranty at all on that machine, I would take it to the dealer where you got it from and talk to them about it, but someone who knows their stuff well will probably chime in on here pretty soon to help you out.

Old 02-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Trailblazer

Thankyou, I had it replaced by the dealership under warranty both times. The first time was probably my fault (towing in high and clearing snow) but the second belt was babied (no towing minamal snow clearing in only low). Now on my third belt and am worried to travel too far from home, don't wanna be stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Old 02-19-2006, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

Just looking at other belt postings and wondering, when i warm my bike up does the belt get warm too? or should I drive it a little before opening it up?

Old 02-19-2006, 09:23 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yes belts do get hot as well, thats one of the reasons for using low while going slow. the clutches spin faster causing the breeze ( so to speak) to keep the belt cooler. also running low while working it will put less stress on it. did your dealer check line up on everything? you should not be having these problems for sure.

Old 02-19-2006, 10:15 PM
Pro Rider

somethin' ain't right, try to find a skilled, trustworthy person that can check your trans out to make sure it's ok, can't trust the dealers. if all is good then perhaps it is your riding style and you need to be in low more than you think. if you do a lot of slow technical stuff under 15 mph then you probably should be in low, especially if you do a lot of stop and go. that's where the most belt damage occurs, from idle to full engagement, stop and go. just the nature of the beast, you may be better off with a shift trans, CVT is not for everyone.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Trailblazer

thankyou both for the reply. I was looking for other opinons due to the fact that i don't fully trust the dealership. Everything should be aligned because it also had a brand new cluch put in it when the first belt broke. Why you're probably wondering? cuz after my first belt broke I had to tow it 12 miles to the dealer and the belt wraped in between the engine and the clutch and broke the seal on the clutch, resulting in a new clutch. Maybe my second belt was deffective and thats why it broke so fast. It seems that people have been talking about aftermarket belts? When I asked the dealer if there was a heavier duty belt they said there was no such thing. Thanks again.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"
Received 168 Likes on 167 Posts

They do make kevlar belts. While they may be stronger, they are also harder on the clutch sheaves. I have had a kevlar belt for three years and haven't had any problems with it yet. But, as they say, your mileage may vary.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:10 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i'm not sure what they run for a belt on the new 500's now but on my 02 i replaced my w/ a top cog 700 belt for better cooling. you could ask if that makes any differnce.

Old 02-20-2006, 03:14 PM
Trailblazer

I think i might be riding too hard on it, I think I'm gonna need to pick up a 500Pred. for screwing around on. My ATP I bought as a work horse but can't resist the urge to go nutz on it.

Quick Reply: belt for automatics