Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Question on primary clutch spring

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2006 | 08:15 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default Question on primary clutch spring

I have a 2001 Xplorer 400 4x4 and I recently put 26" tires on it. I put a Polaris white primary spring in, replacing the stock, to help compensate for the bigger tires due to recommendations from users on this site but I'm not real fond of the higher engagement with the white. I've been reading a few posts and it looks like the EPI Pink spring will do what I want; low engagement with more top end. Will I notice a difference with the pink spring over stock? Any problems with the 26" tires and the pink spring?

Thanks.

Old 03-03-2006 | 08:37 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

The pink spring is the best all around spring. The best thing to do with the bigger tires is going with heavier weights. You want te belt to grab harder with the bigger tires. If you keep the stock weights you will get more belt slippage with the bigger tires. You can use the pink primary and go up a few oz on the weights. You dont want to go too heavy though or you will kill top end speed.

Old 03-03-2006 | 09:03 PM
|
Trailblazer

I still have the stock weights in there. Any recommendations on what weight to go with?

Old 03-03-2006 | 09:38 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

I would go with the white spring with 2-3 gram heavier weights.The weights will get the engagment down along with belt grip.The pink EPI may not work good with more weight.I run the pink with stock weights but a stiffer secondary spring.

Old 03-03-2006 | 11:28 PM
|
Trailblazer

Ok, so if I add a couple of grams of weight with the white spring the engagement will get lower, but, will it do anything to my top end?

Old 03-04-2006 | 08:02 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Your topend shouldnt be effected too much.
I would put in a HPD violet or Aaen blue secondary spring too.

Old 03-05-2006 | 12:07 AM
|
Trailblazer

How hard is it to change the secondary spring? I thought the primary was a breeze, not sure on the secondary. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-05-2006 | 02:20 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Redhans
How hard is it to change the secondary spring? I thought the primary was a breeze, not sure on the secondary. Thanks for the help.
the Secondary spring should be even easier!

Old 03-05-2006 | 11:14 PM
Pro Rider

The secondarys are a pain in the butt. But if you got a helper and a decent set of snap ring pliers. it's no biggie.

Old 03-17-2006 | 03:20 PM
|
Trailblazer

After doing some looking around, here's what I'm thinking: I have a Polaris white primary spring in already. I'm ready to go with HPD S-58 weights and an HPD Violet secondary spring. Would the best setting for the secondary be 2-2? Any other suggestions?

Quick Reply: Question on primary clutch spring