Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 800 Ignition problem..... Winch short?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 11:28 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 800 Ignition problem..... Winch short?

Hello,
I was out playing in the water and slush this evening with my 05 800. Since we had some warmer weather,,, our snow here in WI is melting away leaving alot of water and slush on the frozen ground and ice. I had my plow on the front... and use a Warn 2500ln winch for raising and lowering it. Well I scraped a bunch of slush over where my kids were playing... helping them to make a dam to stop some running water. Well, I slapped the slush pile one good one and the slush just flew most straight up and back down on top of me. I backed up some and my 4 wheeler quit. I re started it and tried lowering the winch cable again and it snubbed out. It would take the cable in, but would not let it wind out. After doing this a bunch of times.... it quitting and me re starting.... it finally went completely dead. Wold not crank, and no power to the display. I opened the front storage compartment and opened the fuse panel... the winch wire.. I think it is yellow was HOT and basically melting inside the black conduit it is in. The ground cable back by the battery was also quite warm. I took to power wire for the winch off the battery and let it sit awhile. When I came back out to drag it back over to get it in the agrage with my truck.. the display at least would light up, but it wouldnt crank yet. It did however click a little. I am wondering if I just got water in the winch or possibly up in the contactor for the winch. I got it in the garage now and will try it in the morning to see if it will start. If not, I will drag it down to my brothers shop where I can put it in the heat to dry out. I am hoping I jsut got a bunch of slush or water in somewhere that is shorting it out and when it dries, it is back to normal. In the meantime... is there anything else I can look for or check that could fix my problem? Any ideas at all would be greatly appreciated. I will report back when I find the problem ro when it is back running.

Thanks

Rob

Old 03-10-2006, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

I would check the battery and solonoid and be sure that the connections are good and tight and be sure you have at least 12 volts and the battery. Could have lossen up a little. Loose ground wire will cause a hot wire to get hot. If it is a water problem be sure to unplug connectors and WD-40 them real good.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:06 AM
Pro Rider

the yellow winch cable that you say is hot is probably pinched somewhere. When the winch is operated in that direction it shorts out to ground. Its likely pinched between the mount plate and the frame. The moisture makes the short conduct better. Charlie

Old 03-11-2006, 07:39 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

your wires shouldnt be getting hot unless your using the winch alot w/out stopping. i would check for a chaffed wire some where like he said around the mountinmg plate.chances are it wont be in the polaris harness it self.

Old 03-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Trailblazer

If you don't get it figured out by Monday call the Warn technical support line...they are very good
If the bike runs fine again try jumper cables on the winch - that will tell you if the winch is done or if it is a connection/solenoid/wiring issue
my 2.5 winch melted the first time I used it and I upgraded to the 3.0 XT

Old 03-11-2006, 07:47 PM
Trailblazer

Hey guys,,,,I got it taken care of. This morning I jump started the 4 wheeler and it ran fine. Then when I would touch the positive wire fromt he winch back on the battery it woudl died instantly. Once the machine ran for awhile and got the battery charged back up then it woudl start and run fine. So I started looking around to see why the winch was shorted out like that. The end opposite of the spool where the cable is wound on has a metal cap on with 2 bolts running in to hold it tight, the same end the cables are hooked on. I grabbed that cover and it was a little loose.... so I tightened the 2 bolts down so that cover was tight in place. Then i started it again and touched the positive cable for the winch on the battery post and it was fine. I assume with the cover on the end of the winch was loose enough where a wire was touching something it shouldnt of been. I didnt know that would do that. Everything else was dry to. Anyone ever have this happen to them?

Rob

Old 03-11-2006, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Just got back from 50 miles of mud

Washed the bike...Then NO START?

The display came up and a relay clicked like hell...

Checked the battery terminals and wala!! both were loose

O yah and almost lost a new wheel off the quad too( loose lug nuts)