Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

melted plastic again

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2006, 08:47 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default melted plastic again

I found that my plastic is melting again, even after the dealer wrapped the pipe with header tape and used a buch of heat tape on it. This time it also melted part of the seat frame, along with the holding clip on the black plastic center piece. I really like the quad and don't want to have to continuously keep taking it back to get the plastic replaced (its still under warranty). has anyone tried getting their pipes Jet-Hot coated and did it help with the heat? So far Polaris has been good about trying to make it right but I'm sure that plastic isn't cheap and I'm guessing that I'm about in for a battle with them so I'm just looking at other ways to deal with it.

Old 03-17-2006, 05:33 PM
Pro Rider

Just so you know, the plastic is only covered for six months. It's not covered by the extended warranty...

Old 03-17-2006, 08:08 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

if its a flaw in the design then why is it only covered for 6 months?

Old 03-17-2006, 09:47 PM
Pro Rider

I doubt it's a "Flaw" or every single one of those ATV's would do the exact same thing, simply a matter of the exhaust temps being too hot for whatever reason. They need to be more worried with correcting your exhaust temperatures than replacing plastics and wrapping up the exhaust pipe. Those are merely bandaids for a completely different issue.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:58 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

i was told polaris runs their engines hot so they dont have condensation or something like that. all i know is that all three of my liquids have run hot.

Old 03-17-2006, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

As bis as issue as this has been, and you had it replaced once I think Polaris will listen to your request for replacement. But I would check on the overall temps. I thought this was corected by a new program change for Polaris.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:02 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

dslksl, did u have a melting issuse w/ ur 05 800? they said they fixed the problem on the 06's. thats y i got the 06.

Old 03-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

No I have not had that problem.... But I asked before I bought it and thats what they told me it was a program change.

Old 03-18-2006, 01:03 PM
Range Rover

The dealer has already informed me that the plastic is only covered for the 6 months. I have 3 months left of that and I really hope that they get the heat problem resolved before then. They said that they were contacting Polaris to see what they can do to fix it, but of course I haven't heard back from them yet. If there is a program change for the 06 models that would be good to know. mine is an 06 with a build date of 11-05 so it may not have the program change in it. If anyone could get me specifics on it i would appreciate it, then I can take it to the dealer and show them about it. I'm still thinking about getting the pipe Jet-Hot coated though as it will cut the heat down on the leg.

Old 03-18-2006, 02:50 PM
Weekend Warrior

If i'm not mistaking its just the heat shield that is touching the plastic? take the side off and bend the heat shield back so it cant contact the plastic. Or cut the shield some. It wont melt the plastic unless it touches the metal shield. When your riding and your leg pushes the side panel in and it causes the plastic to touch the heat shield which causes it to melt. Maybe you can just slap it with a hammer and bend it in so there's no way it could touch the plastic?

My uncle has a 06 EFI 500 and i think he fixed his as soon as he purchased it before it started to melt. Maybe he can post and tell what he did.

Quick Reply: melted plastic again