Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

melted plastic again

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 08:33 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default melted plastic again

Originally posted by: Miichael
If i'm not mistaking its just the heat shield that is touching the plastic? take the side off and bend the heat shield back so it cant contact the plastic. Or cut the shield some. It wont melt the plastic unless it touches the metal shield. When your riding and your leg pushes the side panel in and it causes the plastic to touch the heat shield which causes it to melt. Maybe you can just slap it with a hammer and bend it in so there's no way it could touch the plastic?

My uncle has a 06 EFI 500 and i think he fixed his as soon as he purchased it before it started to melt. Maybe he can post and tell what he did.

Mine started to melt just a bit and I cut some of my heat shield out so it didn't touch my plastic and put some header wrap on and added some more heat tape and I have had no problems at all. I agree with the above post, if the heat shield is touching the plastic it will melt because as the engine vibrates and the pressure from your leg against the plastic it will wear through the heat tape and melt the plastic. It's a very easy fix.

Old 03-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally posted by: Miichael
If i'm not mistaking its just the heat shield that is touching the plastic? take the side off and bend the heat shield back so it cant contact the plastic. Or cut the shield some. It wont melt the plastic unless it touches the metal shield. When your riding and your leg pushes the side panel in and it causes the plastic to touch the heat shield which causes it to melt. Maybe you can just slap it with a hammer and bend it in so there's no way it could touch the plastic?

My uncle has a 06 EFI 500 and i think he fixed his as soon as he purchased it before it started to melt. Maybe he can post and tell what he did.
Im Miichaels uncle. On my 06 500 EFI I took the heat sheild off and used a chainsaw chain sharping file and filed the bolt hole in the heat sheild thats toward the gas tank out. File it on the side of the hole toward the plastic that its against. That will let you push it over when your reinstalling it so it clears the heat sheild tape thats on the plastic.

Im gonna add a extra piece of heat sheild tape later for extra protection.

500EFI

Old 03-19-2006, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider

I did three things to my 700, I took both side panels off and cut a piece of welding blanket to fit each one and glued the blanket on with amazing goop, has worked very well, I also run my machine a little richer, they always seem to be to lean from the start and third I put a half a can of water wetter in each machine, made a big diff, the fan doesn't come on near as much, bought it at the auto parts store.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Range Rover

when the dealer put the header wrap on after the first time they took the heat shields off completely and never put them back on. It appears that it would be an easy fix for the pipe being so close by just moving the bracket that attaches to the frame just a bit and the pipe would have plenty of clearance. I will fix it myself if Polaris doesn't have a decent fix for it. The service writer and I went and looked at a 500 and an 800 on the showroom floor and there was plenty of clearance and a longer heatshield on them than what I had so maybe they have already figured out something.

Old 03-19-2006, 10:39 AM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: speedy63
when the dealer put the header wrap on after the first time they took the heat shields off completely and never put them back on. It appears that it would be an easy fix for the pipe being so close by just moving the bracket that attaches to the frame just a bit and the pipe would have plenty of clearance. I will fix it myself if Polaris doesn't have a decent fix for it. The service writer and I went and looked at a 500 and an 800 on the showroom floor and there was plenty of clearance and a longer heatshield on them than what I had so maybe they have already figured out something.

IMO the dealer should have never taken the heatshield off. That's why the underside of your seat melted. I would have him install the heatshield back on and modify it as stated in this thread. Hope everything works out for ya.