Old 03-23-2006, 03:55 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sp 800 efi problems????????

Old 03-23-2006, 03:57 PM
Pro Rider

Has anyone experianced any of the following problems with any of there sportsman 05-06' units.

4 x 4 switch engaging by it self?

Right rear lower A-arm bolt breaking?

If anyone has seen or heard of any of these 2 problems could you please let me know thanx.

Old 03-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Range Rover

The AWD switch I have not heard of....
but
the Bolt breaking has occurred on my 05 800 already....

Used a higher grade bolt?

Old 03-23-2006, 04:49 PM
Pro Rider

I've noticed that about most of the bolts I've checked on my 06 including the mounting hardware for accessories. It all appears to be grade 3 or 4. Kind of soft IMO. But on the flip side it's easyer to replace a broken bolt than an A-Arm and so on. It might be an engineered weakpoint.

Old 03-23-2006, 05:17 PM
Pro Rider

Thanx guys anyone else seen or heard anything?

We just got new/used 800 and we are having these problems but we've never heard of anyone else having them?

Old 03-24-2006, 10:21 AM
Trailblazer

Hey thats a funny post that got me thinkin last night!!!!
Last year my 03 /600 had a funny shake happening I couldn,t get it figured so i took it to the shop.
After deep discussuions with my dealer I took him out to the bike and showed him what I meant.
The front right A arm where it attatches to the frame had been wearning to the point of having a 1/2 inch travel back and forth.That is the metal bracket was wearing.Slotted out and the explaination or the polaris way to fix it was to weld washers on the bracket and then a longer bolt!

So now i figure the genious at polaris figured the way to fix this is to make the bike cheaper by putting a softer bolt in to solve the real problem of the brackets not beening thick enough or too soft of metal.
These guys are wacked backwards engineering?
Im tellin you they dont think we even ride these over priced toys.
Hey I love my bike but this is horse sht.
Thanks again POO.

Old 03-26-2006, 12:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

I have an 05 800 & it has had a few times of diffaculty. the switch acts funny in reverse & so on. In my group there has been 4 700s that have had problems, one blew up the plastic cage in the front diff. on the account of the on demand crap that polaris thinks is a good idea, it needs to be an old time pull in devise to lock in the front end, these days the machines are putting out to much horse power to handle the foney switch!! The rest of them won't lock in or won't unlock when the switch is moved. This is getting to be a bad problem around here! I have over 9 grand in mine, & it is out of warrenty, the dealer might just get it back!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

Hello Speed, I have a 05 800 EFI and a 98 500 both have had the bolt issue. I just got back from the Paiute trail where me and several buddy's go every year for a week. This year my friend broke the lower right rear bolt then same day I broke mine (both 800 efi's) on our last day his girlfriends broke. (her's is a sportsman 500 HO) That makes 3 in one trip that have done this. I know of 5 times this has happened and it's always the right rear bolt. After looking at the situation
we realized the bolt wants to back out when the suspension is pushed up. We then realized that if this was the case the left front bolt would be experiencing the same problem, even though I have never seen the front left bolt broken I did put a wrench on it and got a 1/4 turn on it. All the others were fine. So my conclusion was, Polaris should have done a reverse thread on the front left and the right rear. For now I am looking at several alternatives to correct the problem. One is to simply use permanent lock tight the other is to drill out the slug to 1/2 inch diameter and retap
the hub carrier to accept the larger bolt either way I will be using permanent lock tight.

Please let me know your findings and thoughts.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:07 PM
Pro Rider

We found our frame to be cracked too welded it and havn't seen any more problems.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:16 PM
Trailblazer

Where did you find the crack in the frame? I have mine in the air and am working on it right now.

Quick Reply: sp 800 efi problems????????