Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What's Deal On This Belt-Slipping Thing With Polaris???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 06:45 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This whole belt slipping thing has been blowen way outta porportion. I have 1400 miles on my 98 Xplorer and the belt has never sliped. Ive even had it in water over the racks.

I had my clutch cover off a few weeks ago and there was ZERO sign of water ever being in there. Also after 1400 miles of abuse the belt still looked like new.

Andy G

Old 11-15-2000, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

This is certainly a beat to death topic on this forum, reality is that if you get in water thats so darn deep that you shouldn't be in, of course you'll have problems. Just show me a quad that is totally waterproof, and I'll buy one, right now. If your not a deep sea driver, you'll never have a problem with any quad. I own a Polaris Sportsman, belt drive was the main issue for me, I wanted the luxury of not shifting gears all the time, and I love it. Wearing them big boots in the winter makes the automatic super nice, and I admit, I felt my belt slip once, drove through some soft fresh powder snow, and I slipped for about 5 seconds, that was it, but I was going pretty fast. Don't let belt slippage be a major factor in your decision to buy a quad. The contributors on this forum are many, and most of them are pretty happy Polaris owners.

Old 11-15-2000, 07:53 PM
Pro Rider

Listen Douger Polaris' belt slippage problems are long gone as the other guys pointed out.
Kawasaki..........can you say recall?
Cuz' I can tell you that all kawi praries from 96 through 2000 have a problem where the clutch system locks up making the machine stop instantly and make you go over the handlebars.
No one can duplicate polaris' tried and true auto clutch system.PERIOD.

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 11-15-2000, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

Right on, scramdaddy!

Old 11-15-2000, 08:45 PM
Pro Rider

I have seen Kawas slip also. I went roarin' through a mudhole on the Scram and the guy behind me had some trouble. Apparently his belt was slipping due to the deep mud. I told him to just sit back, relax in neutral and wait a couple minutes.

No sweat! It happens once in a great moon...

Old 11-16-2000, 11:47 AM
Weekend Warrior

To Everyone...
I truly do thank you all for your insite and opinions on the Polaris ATV belt-slipping issue. It does not seem to be that much of an issue to the owners of the machines, which is good. Nonetheless, I think at lunch today I will go and have a little talk with my Polaris dealer here in Dallas and make him an offer on that 2000 SC-500 that I am itchin' to ride. Still have not figured what I will buy for the wife yet but, that is another story. Thanks again and I will report back after a few months of riding and give you a full report.

Doug
Lillian, TX

Old 11-16-2000, 02:35 PM
Pro Rider

Trust me on this one, there are few, if any, better machines for the wife than the TrailBoss. I have to use a crowbar to get my wife's butt off of her TrailBoss! Or does she just need to ...never mind.....

Old 11-16-2000, 05:03 PM
Weekend Warrior

Correction...the Scrambler is not a 500cc it is a 400cc 4X4 automatic and very red in color. I did have a conversation with the store manager, and after careful negotiations on price we finally came to an agreement. I will pick up the machine tomorrow. I will also take a hard look at the Trail Boss for the wife. Thanks again everyone and i'll keep you all posted.

Doug
Lillian, TX

Old 11-16-2000, 05:11 PM
Pro Rider

With my past experiences with Polaris the belt slipping thing has not been blown way out of proportion. I bought a brand new 97 Xplorer and this is the single biggest issue I had. Anytime I went through water or mud the belt would slip.

Aside from the belt slipping/burning issue I had a very large list of problems. 4-wheel drive would engage by itself. 4-wheel drive failure, bad hubs. Brake caliper problems. And an oil injector failure causing the piston to seize. Please don't tell me this is because of lack of proper maintenance either. I'm very strict about maintenance on my equipment.

Needless to say I sold it. Maybe I had a lemon? Who knows? My point is,,, if this is truly a non issue than why have so many people experience this problem? It's far from being untrue.

Since joining this forum I understand this has got better and Polaris has made some design changes for the better. I ride with a couple of Polaris's now and I have seen them experience this problem too. Although from what the owners have told me it's rare.

Old 11-16-2000, 06:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Really....Hmmmmmm...Interesting.

Doug
Lillian, TX

Quick Reply: What's Deal On This Belt-Slipping Thing With Polaris???