Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What's Deal On This Belt-Slipping Thing With Polaris???

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2000, 02:30 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MaginumMudMan...
One little question on the oil change deal...No problem putting 10 hours on it before I take it out but, I am wondering if replacing the oil, since it is synthetic is really necessary after 10 hours. Plus, is it a MUST that you go back with the Polaris brand oils as they recommend or can you just use any synthetic oil such as Mobil 1 or synthetic Valvoline ect.? Also, their are other oils that need to be changed too. Transmission, gear box, differentials ect...what about them and break-in time. Every oil on this bike is a synthetic oil it seems from what the book reads. Just wondering...and thanks again.

Old 11-20-2000, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

The problem with belt slipping is that when it happens, it does when you really don't want it. When you're riding cool on a cool trail, it won't slip...you're fighting hard in a mudhole (or water) to reach the dryland, then it slips...you hate it!
But I have yet to see one slip. See the pics on the link, the one when I'm on the Xplorer in water (what Xplor said before). I went there back and forth twice. No trouble...maybe I should put snorkels on my shee

Old 11-20-2000, 03:18 PM
Pro Rider

Douger
I can not remember what the recommended interval for the first oil change is. I beleive it is at 20 hours. I just like to be safe and change the engine oil after the first 10 hours of riding. There is nothing wrong with using a different synthetic oil other than Polaris, but the Polaris recommended oil is 0W40 and there is no manufacture that I know of making a synthetic in 0W40. I have heard of others running 5W30, but that is up to you. I don't like paying $7.50 a quart for Polaris oil, but I don't want to change from the recommended weight. As for the other oils, there really is no break in procedure for them. Just follow the manufacturers recommendations for the time interval. If you run in a lot of water, I would suggest you change oil and grease the machine more often than recommended. Also, check all fluids after every water ride to see if any water has made its way into the fluids.