Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

What's Deal On This Belt-Slipping Thing With Polaris???

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2000, 07:38 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the sound of your post it seems as though you don’t believe me. I realize I’m in the minority on this issue. I just wanted to share my experiences with you.

Regardless of whether you believe it or not. My experiences are true.

Old 11-16-2000, 08:02 PM
Pro Rider

i can agree with hiofcer on the fact it is true it can happen,but realize a few things
1) it happens when you try to cross water higher than your belt intake and exhaust,these in and outlets are not much lower than your air(carb.) intake on most quads out there,polaris,kaw.,yamaha,etc.,basically if you can make it on any other brand out there the polaris will do the same,plus you can extend them all so you can be a submariner,many people do this to all brands as well.
2) if you aproach the water at higher speed of more than a few miles an hour it will splash the water into the exhaust of the belt..all you have to do is slow down when aproaching(use low if equipped) and once you get in to almost the top of the tires keep rpms up,lean back an pull up on the handlebars and the air coming out keeps water from coming in..
3)this is my experience from owning a magnum w/belt and the 2 other polaris belt drive i ride with as well as yamahas..there has never been a time that someone with a belt couldnt make where the yamaha 5 spd went an visa versa,im talking deep water not all around riding..

Old 11-16-2000, 08:14 PM
Pro Rider

Belt slipping is not unique to Polaris. I have seen a Yamaha Kodiak & Sportsman belt slip. Does this happen all the time, NO.

The bottom line is if you play submarine with your quad there is a greater risk of belt slippage.

Old 11-16-2000, 09:41 PM
Trailblazer

Let me add me 2 cents
I must be honest, my new 2000 SP500 has had the belt slip.........one time........I think I was at about 30-35MPH when I hit the stream. It was a blast, the front rooster was about 25' high or so. Well, the belt got wet that time. Prior to that happening I went through simular streams, but not nearly as fast (I was working on soaking the couple in front of me) The belt held up great. I've also been stuck in a mud/water hole deep enough so the exhaust was blowing bubbles and the front racks were gone. Not once did the belt get wet and slip. (needed help out of that hole too ) So, it can happen, will it, probably, if you ride like the rest of us. How often? Not very often at all I'm sure of this. I ride very hard and I get into every mud hole and river I can. I've only had this happen one time and after I put it in N, rev'd a little bit for a minute or two, it was back to riding hard. I say, go with the Polaris and I promise you won't be dissapointed.
Rick

Old 11-16-2000, 10:30 PM
Pro Rider

Don't get scared it truely is rare now to have the belt slip on a polaris. I ride my polaris hard and slammed into trees,rocks, and even rolled it down a hill plus pulled a brokin' down bronco a mile back home. Thats why I'm so defensive when someone comments about polaris in a bad why. I may of only had my machine for 5 months now, but its scene more abuse than any other machine I've owned.

LONG LIVE POLARIS!!!

2000 SCRAMBLER 400 2X4

SCRAMDADDY400

Old 11-17-2000, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Scramdaddy400---I don't know where you are getting your information from, but lets be fair. I own a /97 Prairie and have never had any problems let alone a clutch lock up problem. I took my machine in because of the belt recall and asked the dealer how many he had heard of failing. He said there was one instance in the U.S. where the belt broke and shattered and someone got hurt because a piece of the kevlar belt caught in the clutch mechanism which locked up the drivetrain and the rider went over the handle bars. Kawasaki redesigned the belts so this wouldn't happen again (obviously to avoid lawsuits, but also to maintain their good reliability record). It was the kevlar belt that was a potential problem, not the clutch itself. They used kevlar to make a really tough belt, but everything has its drawbacks. I'm really glad that they were responsible enough to recall all machines, no matter how many failed, rather than waiting until several people got hurt. I don't know if my dealer had all the facts about the accident right or not. I do know that I haven't heard of anyone having this happen and I haven't seen any posts of this problem in the Kawasaki forum. I saw the posts about the recall though. Thats how I found out about it before I got a notice from Kawasaki.
By the way, Kawasaki designed the CVT system for their ATV's from their Mule vehicle which has had one for many years. Polaris has definitely had them in ATV's the longest though, and have been very successful. The designs are basically similar.

Old 11-17-2000, 10:17 AM
Pro Rider

Is'nt the Prairie also a belt driven bike? All belt driven bikes are very water proof.

Old 11-17-2000, 11:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hiofcer...
It is not that I don't value your personal information & experiences about the belt-slipping problem on Polaris ATV's, it is just that I wanted to reconsider my decision to purchase the Scrambler 400 that I was to pick up today. I still continue to get conflicting information on this matter. Furthermore, I still have time to back out of this deal since I will pay cash for the unit. I do value all opinions and information from EVERYONE on this post and I am pleased that you did give your personal input espically since you are so out-numbered in this fourm on this topic. Thanks again...

Doug
Lillian, TX

Old 11-17-2000, 12:02 PM
Pro Rider

Douger

I would have to agree that the belt slipping problem should not influence your decision. I own two belt drive quads. Have I every had the belt slip? Yes. I can get the Magnum to slip if I hit a water hole to fast. It will blow water into the PVT case. This is a minor problem. I put it into neutral, rev it up for 30 seconds, and away I go. The only time I have gotten the trail boss to slip was I was screwing around trying to arrange both atvs in different fashions on the utility trailer and was trying to get it up on some ramps on the trailer in a real slow fashion. It only slipped a little before I stopped. I have hit some water pretty fast on the trail boss and have never had it slip. The PVT intake has been redesigned on the new machines and are not as prone to problems. I don't think you will ever have any problems with the belt drive. My riding buddy was the biggest hater of belt drive quads until he rode one. He then went and bought a 2000 scrambler 500 and hasn't been happier.

Old 11-17-2000, 03:24 PM
Pro Rider

I can say Yamaha quads are very well sealed and have an improved, compact , true engine braking belt system as on the Kodiak. The 2000 Polaris's I ride with have never had belt slippage, nor have I and we go through water up to seats. The biggest complaint I hear from Polaris owners is the lack of engine brake in front wheels going down STEEP mountains and having to always switch from high and low range. They have to switch ranges constantly depending on trail conditions/speed or they will burn a belt in high range if they are going too slow or up a bad hill. You don't have to do that with a Yamaha, you can ride in high always except pulling heavy loads. On the other hand, Polaris's will out-mud about any atv out there...I can admit that due to the true 4x4.

2000 Kodiak/beige 4x4
2000 warn winch w/fairlead roller
Escavators x4
alum rear skid

1998 Ranger 4x4 ext cab off road, 98 Explorer 4 dr XLT's

Quick Reply: What's Deal On This Belt-Slipping Thing With Polaris???